The 2016 Contest is open!

The 2016 Contest is open!

Woohoo!  So excited for another season of Level Up! 

https://software.intel.com/en-us/blogs/2016/02/26/intel-level-up-game-de...

http://software.intel.com/levelup

More to come, but I was getting distressed seeing a totally empty forum. :)

~Mitch

31 posts / 0 new
Last post
For more complete information about compiler optimizations, see our Optimization Notice.

Hi,

So sad that my country not listed, any chance to open to Indonesian Developer?

thanks

Hi Aulia,

I would love to be able to add additional countries to the contest terms and conditions, however Intel legal sets which countries we can offer this skills based contest on based on the legal landscape in that country and our contest framework and rules

~Mitch

Hi,

I'm from the province of Quebec in Canada. Quebec is often excluded from international competitions and I'd like to verify that my friends and I can indeed partake this competition.

Terry,

I suppose if you know there's something that would explicitly preclude you from submitting, yeah, probably not.

HOWEVER, Canada was on list of included countries that our legal folks said was included and we've had winners from Canada in the past so I'd encourage your and your friends submissions.  Please spread the word! :)

Cheers!

Mitch

Hi Mitchell,

Thanks for answering. I'm not too familiar with Quebec laws but I know that there is additional paperwork that contest organizers have to go through and they often don't want to deal with the hassle so they just drop Quebec from valid areas even though it is within Canada. If you could confirm with the legal team that would be most appreciated.

Thanks

Am i able to enter from Finland? didnt see it at the rules.

Jyri,

Sorry, Finland isn't on the list.  I was just chatting yesterday with Vlad Micu of Data Realms about this :(  If you have a teammate in a country that is on the included list and that teammate is your team representative they can be the one to officially submit.  If your team does win that person will have the prizing fulfilled to them in their country of residence disclosed on the submission form.  

~Mitch

Hello,

I am from the UK and like developing in Unity and UE4.

The target platform is a 2 in 1 PC. 

I haven't got a 2 in 1 PC to test on.

Does this mean I don't meet the requirements to to participate? 

From being from the UK will i be disqualified? 

Thank you,

Moynul

Hi Mitch)

Can i submit more than 1 game(demo)?

~Sasha

Mitchell,

Legal question: Do we need to own the copyrights of our work or do we need to just not violate other copyrights/trademarks?  I know there's a cost and wait time to get copyrights/trademarks, so if it's required we should get started on the IP requests.  

-Nick G 

Hi Mitchell,

Is it individual contest? If I work as a team, is there any rules for team?

Thanks

Moynul,

The target platform specifically is a Razer Blade Stealth.  If you have a strong belief that your game good (hopefully you do, or you might not be working on it) and some reasonable belief that it will play on Intel HD Graphics (you could test on "any" older Windows laptop with Intel graphics) - then you're 80% of the way there.  The Stealth as a 2 in 1 / Ultrabook has touch input - with Unity and UE4, that happens "automatically" through mouse emulation.  I've seen many great submission that have a neat mechanic that is playable with touch come through that have been great.  I would highly ENCOURAGE your submission.

Cheers!

Mitch

Quote:

Moynul H. wrote:

Hello,

I am from the UK and like developing in Unity and UE4.

The target platform is a 2 in 1 PC. 

I haven't got a 2 in 1 PC to test on.

Does this mean I don't meet the requirements to to participate? 

From being from the UK will i be disqualified? 

Thank you,

Moynul

Sasha,

Yes!  One team (or person) can submit multiple game demos.  If you're sending in multiple demos of nuance variations of the same thing, that's not what we're looking for, but if you have multiple different projects/games you're working on and you think all of them are a fit for the contest - please submit all of them.  I've talked to a couple teams who are submitting multiple.  I'm excited to see what everyone's come up with for this year!

~Mitch

Quote:

Oleksandr K. wrote:

Hi Mitch)

Can i submit more than 1 game(demo)?

~Sasha

Nick,

You need to own the IP for your game - that's a general statement beyond just this contest.  For example, if you create an AMAZING game with "borrowed" brand, assets or something else you don't have the right license for, and your game becomes successful you could be sued for damages/infringement by the person or company that owns the IP.  With games, the kernel or nugget of fun is usually distinct and separate from the "brand" - so I'd encourage you to properly license music / art or have someone on your team (or a work for hire) create all of your own original work.  If you've gone very far with development using borrowed IP either get that sorted ASAP (and before you submit or go public with any demo) or do a scrub and put in original content.

Good luck!

Mitch

Quote:

Nick G. wrote:

Mitchell,

Legal question: Do we need to own the copyrights of our work or do we need to just not violate other copyrights/trademarks?  I know there's a cost and wait time to get copyrights/trademarks, so if it's required we should get started on the IP requests.  

-Nick G 

Hi Adi!

Only 1 person (individual) can submit per demo, but that is in many cases on behalf of a team.  No specific rules around team size, but the person who does submit needs to be a legal resident of a country on the included list of countries in the terms and conditions.  The person who submits should be able to legally represent the team, sign promotional releases, collect the prizing and distribute it fairly amongst the team.  If you have further questions, let me know!

~Mitch

Quote:

Adi K. wrote:

Hi Mitchell,

Is it individual contest? If I work as a team, is there any rules for team?

Thanks

Hi Mitch

This is an amazing opportunity for aspiring indie game developers to gain exposure to the market! When I stumbled across this, I was like 'I am entering - for sure, and nothing is going to stop me!.... And then - the country list came into view :(

My country of residence is South Africa and I did not see it listed - perhaps we are? (The ever-hopeful inside of me!)

Is there perhaps anything that we can do our side to change this for next season? 

Thanks

Hi Robert,

Thanks for your interest and excitement about our contest.  I think the only thing really to do is express that interest and excitement and I can ask the legal team to look at South Africa for next year.  I've made this commitment each year and will continue to ask, but each year I'm told the legal landscape around skills based contests gets more and more complex with federal, regional//state and local laws that the legal team has not added new countries.  

~Mitch

Quote:

Robert A. wrote:

Hi Mitch

This is an amazing opportunity for aspiring indie game developers to gain exposure to the market! When I stumbled across this, I was like 'I am entering - for sure, and nothing is going to stop me!.... And then - the country list came into view :(

My country of residence is South Africa and I did not see it listed - perhaps we are? (The ever-hopeful inside of me!)

Is there perhaps anything that we can do our side to change this for next season? 

Thanks

I submitted a game but received no confirmation. It would be helpfull to get an email acknowledging the submission was completed successfully.

Hello!

Just read the eligibility requirements and Austria (Österreich) is not on the list.
Does that mean there is no chance to join the contest?

Best Regards

Quote:

Todd K. wrote:

I submitted a game but received no confirmation. It would be helpfull to get an email acknowledging the submission was completed successfully.

Yup I see your entry - looks good.

~Mitch

Quote:

Thomas C. wrote:

Hello!

Just read the eligibility requirements and Austria (Österreich) is not on the list.
Does that mean there is no chance to join the contest?

Best Regards

Hi Thomas - that's unfortunately correct.  If you have a collaborator or teammate in an included country, that is one route for getting included - the prizing and legal stuff would all need to go through that person in the included country.

Cheers!

Mitch

Hello,

That 2 in 1 means, that we must have our game to use touch input ? Or we can use keyboard + mouse, or controller ??

For the Razer Blade Stealth 2 in 1 means touch input.  On some 2 in 1's there's accelerometers and gyros etc. If you game is amazing and does not have touch input/UI (you might try it, particularly if you are using UE or Unity because their mouse emulation to touch is rather good) - don't despair, it's only 20% of the scoring.  If you game does play best with controller, put something in the start-up to give the screeners/judges instructions on plugging in the controller and the controller mapping.

Cheers!

Mitch

Quote:

Martin M. wrote:

Hello,

That 2 in 1 means, that we must have our game to use touch input ? Or we can use keyboard + mouse, or controller ??

Will we be able to see the different submissions in any way before the contest is over. Would be fun to see what we are up against :)

If a game has only been released for iOS, but now I have a desktop version that has not been released, can I submit it?

Richard,

Negative ghostrider.  Some teams submit very early builds of really innovative stuff and part of the trust we have around the contest is that we Intel nor we the judges are going to tip anyone else's hand.  That being said if people want to post to the forum what they've submitted devs/teams can totally do that on their own.  But no, we don't publish any specifics of who submitted what - just how many come from which countries.

Hope that makes sense..

Mitch

Quote:

Rickard H. wrote:

Will we be able to see the different submissions in any way before the contest is over. Would be fun to see what we are up against :)

Hi Diego,

That's fair game - as long as it's not been for sale on Windows.

~Mitch

Quote:

Diego A. wrote:

If a game has only been released for iOS, but now I have a desktop version that has not been released, can I submit it?

I'm from Brazil. Help me. I'm trying to email the Intel XDK and not be working. It does not send, no effect. The version of my Intel XDK 3357.
The cord-email-composer plugin is installed on my project. I am using the Bootstrap framework.

In the first example, I use intel.xdk.device.sendEmail and second, use the cordova.plugins.email.open. WHERE I AM missing?
Please tell me step by step. What are the prerequisites? which plugins should I enable on my project?
and entering in the index.html? help.

I've done two code:
First example:

<body>
<input type="button" onclick="enviar3()" value="Exibir Alert" />
</body>

<head> 
<script type="text/javascript">
function enviar3()
{
alert("ok"); 
        intel.xdk.device.sendEmail("yyyyy", 
        "ajjaf77@gmail.com",    
        "teste",  // The subject
        true,                           // Is Html
        "",                             // CCed
        ""                              // BCCed
)};
</script>

Segund example:

<script>
    cordova.plugins.email.open({
    to:      'ajjaf77@gmail.com',
    cc:      'ajjaf@bol.com.br',
    subject: 'Greetings',
    body:    'How are you? Nice greetings from Leipzig'
});
</script> 

Jorge F,

Probably not the right place for that XDK question, but I'll flag a not to our XDK team and our Brazilan game-dev lead.

~Mitch

@Jorge

I am one of the evangelists here in Brazil. 
About your issue I have the following feedback: just tried to run adding your code to the default blank app template and it works as it should (it calls an external app to send the email).

I am not really an expert on XDK apis, I am more of a native Android guy, but without any additional info (logs, screenshots, error messages) it is hard to go any further.

My suggestion is for you to post your question on our XDK forum (in English as there are much more people looking at it), on StackOverflow (there is a specific tag for it – English or Portuguese), or on the Brazilian Facebook Community for XDK for community support which most of times can be much faster than us. :P

Good luck!

Leave a Comment

Please sign in to add a comment. Not a member? Join today