You may have seen a post from me a little earlier, in which I was struggling to get the QuickSync plugin working.
After A LOT of playing around I found that due to the IntelMSDKExporter.prm plugin, Premiere was trying to load the following libraries:
I resolved these issues by downloading and installing:
- Microsoft Windows SDK 6.1 update (~1.5 GB)
- Microsoft Windows 7 SDK (~1.5 GB)
- Intel Integrated Performance Primitives SDK x64 (~300 MB) - Trial of software which needs to be purchased.
Once these were installed I then found Premiere was trying to use the following DLL's
The good news (of sorts) is that these are included in the Intel IPP SDK - Unfortunately they were not included in the system path when the SDK was installed, so I have to add the following paths:
- C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Intel\\ComposerXE-2011\\redist\\intel64\\compiler
- C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Intel\\ComposerXE-2011\\redist\\intel64\\ipp\\1033
So another try, and I found that this time the following DLL was missing:
This file relates to the Intel Math Kernel Library (another SDK that will need to be purchased, although a trial is available).
So after installing four SDK's (at nearly 4GB), two of which are only trial products, this plugin is starting to seem anything but simple.
Is this really what is required to use QuickSync encoding? - It seems extremely complex, and I can't imagine the avergae Premiere Pro user having the knowledge (or patience) to fix these various issues.
At the very least, the list of prerequisits should be listed on the plugin download page, and preferably an install package which includes the required runtime libraries. I have been left completely conused by the various license agreements I have had to look at, as to whether or not it's possible to provide these libraries as a separate runtime package.
The good news is that after a lot of time, effort, downloading and installing I managed to get this working.
The bad news is that I am very disapointed by the results. I will let you judge for yourself below in a moment, but I just wasnted to share my disappointment with this. I opted for a H67 motherboard (Intel HD graphics) over a P67 (Overclocking) due to the possibilities of hardware based h264 encoding, with the theory that I could let the CPU handle the video effects processing and the GPU handle the h264 encoding of various Premiere Pro porjects.
Alas, I am stuck with a chip that allows overclocking, but a motherboard that prevents it, coupled with a disapointing feature which convinced me to go down the H67 route. I honestly feel short changed by the whole affair, since it now seems that the extra power possible from overclocking a P67 would more than make up for not being able to use "not so quick to instal" QuickSync video encoding.
Intel - if I have made mistakes here I apologise completely and I look forward to seeing what I have done wrong and how it can be fixed. If however this is the current state of the plugin then could you please do provide me with a solution to turn me in to a happy customer.
... And now the results (all of these images have been resized for the forum - click to open in full)
Below - Original - 1440x1080 1.333 Pixel aspect radio
\\/ \\/ \\/
Below - QuickSync - 8mbps vbr, Highest quality, 1440x1080 @ 1.333 pixel aspect ratio
Processed at about 70fps and 40% CPU
You can see the colours are crushed and over saturated, the pixel aspect ratio is incorrect and something strange has happened to th interlacing (the correct, and specified 'upper field first' has not been honored, and interestingly the Adobe Media Encoder log file states "The source was deinterlaced" - which it doesn't say for the correctly interlaced MainConcept transcode).
\\/ \\/ \\/
Below - Mainconept - 8mbps vbr, 1440x1080 @ 1.333 pixel aspect ratio
Prcessed at about 50fps with 90% CPU usage (H67 with i5-2500K).
As you can see it looks pretty good.
\\/ \\/ \\/