[Win7 64bit] Intel HAXM locks the VT-X module

[Win7 64bit] Intel HAXM locks the VT-X module

Dear Intel,I was very excited when I first saw the Intel HAXM solution to bring the hardware acceleration to the Android X86 emulator. I then installed HAXM, but since then, VirtualBox refuses to start if I enable the VT-X support. The only solution is to remove the Intel HAXM and reboot.Why does HAXM lock the VT-X module even when no application is interfaced with it?I hope there's a solution, I can't bare the sluggish Android emulator after having seen the hardware-accelerated one!Thanks.

16 posts / 0 new
Last post
For more complete information about compiler optimizations, see our Optimization Notice.

Hi elegos! Yes, one can get used to that! :)The issue that you mention is already known and fixed for the next release of Intel HAXM. The good news is that is expected to go live in the next few days. Stay tuned, will keep you posted.

I identified the same problem today on windows 7 64bit after installation von HAXM- 6 days ago -and starting VirtualBox machines with VT-X/AMD-V activated (hardware virtualization)today- after 10 days without use and without any changes. Only uninstalling HAXM and rebooting helps to restart VirtualBox machines. I need the next release for HAXM very quickly. When is it available?

Hi,you can try to stop the service of HAXM and see if this would be a workaround while you want use VirtualBox. To do that open an administrator shell and type in:

sc stop intelhaxm
If you want to use HAXM again start the service with:
sc start intelhaxm
It would be nice if you can report back if that is working.Thanks,Alex

Just had the some problem and stumble on this post. When is the new version for HAXM schedule to be released? jocuri hamp coach iban game masini

No, I've already tried to do that before uninstalling it.

I was about to install Intel HAXM, I was following the instruction given herehttp://developer.android.com/tools/devices/emulator.html#accel-vm but I decided to do some more research (I am glad I did) and I found this thread. When is the Intel HAXM issues described in this thread going to be fix? Is Google going to get the fix, that is, their IntelHAXM.exe file going to have the fix?

To install the virtualization driver:

1. Start the Android SDK Manager, selectExtrasand then selectIntel Hardware Accelerated Execution Manager.
  2. After the download completes, execute/extras/intel/Hardware_Accelerated_Execution_Manager/IntelHAXM.exe.
  3. Follow the on-screen instructions to complete installation.
  4. After installation completes, confirm that the virtualization driver is operating correctly by opening a command prompt window and running the following command:

Please let me know when this is fix.

@Hernan,Will you add a post to this thread when the new version is available? I'm waiting for it, too. :)

Gastón C. Hillar

I know you'll hate me Intel, but when will this update be released? I don't want to reboot every time I have to startup my linux box :(

Hi elegos, hi allThe release of HAXM R2, is now available from the Android SDK manager.

The main features are that the issue in interaction with VirtualBox is fixed and also it has improved performance in some GL operation when using ICS system image.

Please give it a try and let me know how it goes.

Thanks Hernan, it seems to be working fine :)

Quoting elegos...I hope there's a solution, I can't bare the sluggish Android emulator...

I agree and please take a look at a thread withmy "fight":

stopping the HAXM service does not help. Virtualbox machine does only start, if HAXM is uninstalled. I will try today the new release 1.0.1

Good to know elegos! Thanks for sharing.

Hi all,

yes, the issue is fixed with new release (Version 1.0.1) of intel HAXM. Thanks to Intel.

Helmut Freiwald

Hi Gastn, in case you missed it, the new version is available :) And some details and useful links here:http://intel.ly/MhyF3o

Leave a Comment

Please sign in to add a comment. Not a member? Join today