For people having install issues with HAXM - specifically this issue: "Failed to configure driver: unknown error. Failed to open driver".
I discovered that the issue is the digital signed catalog for the 64bit driver is named wrong in the install.
It is named IntelHaxm_x64.cat in the inf file for the driver: CatalogFile.ntamd64=IntelHaxm_x64.cat
but the file that is in the folder is named intelhaxm_x86.cat - this is the name for the 32bit OS driver.
So this is what I did to fix it.
1. Download the Hardware Accelerated Execution Manager via the android SDK tools or this file haxm-windows_r05.zip (1.1.1)
2. Extract the install file to folder intelhaxm using 7zip or some archive program
Note: for Android-sdk the install file is intelhaxm-android.exe located here:
For haxm-windows_r05 the install file is intelhaxm.exe (haxm-windows_r05)
3. Go into folder intelhaxm and extract hax64.msi to folder hax64
4. Go into folder hax64 and remove all ".win7_64" from the file names of the inf, sys, and cat files for your OS (win7 or vista)
5. Rename file intelhaxm_x86.cat to IntelHaxm_x64.cat
6. Open a command window in that folder and run this command to install the driver
HaxInst64.exe /i intelhaxm.inf 1
There should be no ERROR reported
(UPDATE: As the comments below have pointed out, you might have to run "sfc /SCANNOW" and reboot your PC to get past this step. I didn't have to but it's worth a shot)
7. Go up one folder (intelhaxm) and run setup.exe - it should complete now with no errors
8. run this command to verify that it is working
sc query intelhaxm
it should return with a state of 4 (Running)
And you are done.
Hopefully someone from intel will fix this issue.
If after all this you are still not able to install, I would double check that your CPU/ BIOS / MOBO are compatible to get this to work.