Standard Graphics App Text Scrolling

Standard Graphics App Text Scrolling

I have converted a large legacy application into a QuickWin Standard Graphics Application. The program can produce a large amount of text output, and the problem is that this scrolls very slowly.
Is there any way to speed up this scrolling?

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
For more complete information about compiler optimizations, see our Optimization Notice.

Only by reducing the window size. A QuickWin window is a bitmap, and if the bitmap is very large (especially if your screen resolution is high), scrolling can be slow.

Steve

Steve - Intel Developer Support

Steve,
Does your note about Quick Win windows being bit maps (and thus slow) imply that perhaps true PI-generated windows are not? Put another way, will my Fort ran's dynamic graphics work noticeably faster if I convert to Win32 PI rather than keep my graphics in Quick Win?

stupid spell-checker! "PI" of course, should be "API", "Quick Win" should be "QuickWin", "bit maps" should be "bitmaps", and "Fort ran" (!) should be Fortran!
sorry about that..
God bless!
Jack

When you use the Win32 API, you're usually creating bitmaps anyway. The thing about QuickWin is that you get a scrollable window, which is hard to do directly with the Win32 API, and that scrolling the window involves copying portions of a bitmap - memory and processor-intensive.

If you can live without scrolling, you MIGHT get a bit more speed out of direct Win32 calls, but I doubt it's worth the hassle.

Steve

Steve - Intel Developer Support

exactly what I wanted to hear! too old to learn API graphics!
Thanks, as usual, Steve, for your speedy and expert response.
God bless!
jack

Leave a Comment

Please sign in to add a comment. Not a member? Join today