How to install CV SDK on Ubuntu 14.04 (Kernel 4.4) ?

How to install CV SDK on Ubuntu 14.04 (Kernel 4.4) ?

Hi,

I am trying to install CV SDK on a desktop PC. My PC has a Core i7-6700 with an integrated HD 530 GPU. It runs Ubuntu 14.04 with the Linux Kernel version 4.4. I started by following the CV SDK Quick Start Guide (April 2017) step by step.

In section 2.1.2, Prerequisites for Intel Core platforms with Ubuntu/CentOS only, I was told to install the OpenCL driver for Linux (64-bit). A document, OpenCL Driver for Intel HD, Iris, and Iris Pro Graphics for Linux -- Installation, was referred to, which I followed.

But the installation instructions only cover the case for Linux Kernel 4.7, which I don't have. I followed the instructions until this:

patch -p1 < /opt/intel/opencl/kernel-4.7-xcode.patch

The instruction failed because my PC didn't have kernel-4.7-xcode.patch. It only had kernel-4.4-xcode.patch and kernel-4.7.patch.

So here are the questions. How should I proceed? Can I use kernel-4.4-xcode.patch and kernel-4.7.patch to generate kernel-4.7-xcode.patch? Or must I upgrade my Linux Kernel to 4.7 before installing CV SDK?

Thanks,

Robby

Thread Topic: 

Question
7 posts / 0 new
Last post
For more complete information about compiler optimizations, see our Optimization Notice.
Best Reply

We've written a script to help: https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/sdk-for-opencl-gsg

It downloads, patches, and compiles the 4.7 kernel, and installs the OpenCL library components as well.

Thanks for the timely response Jeffrey. I'll try that and report back.

-Robby

Hi Jeffrey,

Yes the script worked. I was able to upgrade the Linux kernel and to install CV SDK on my PC, and the samples worked. I have not tried all the samples though.

The link for the CV SDK sample code given at the beginning of section 3.0 in the Quick Start Guide is broken. A quick google search found the right link.

There were other minor glitches, but those were mostly due to how my Ubuntu PC was configured.

Thanks,

Robby

Hi Robby,

Great, happy to hear you installed and started working. 

Thanks for noticing the broken link- we'll look into that. Let us know if there's anything else you need help with. 

Regards,

Stav

For anyone is looking for the code samples the link is:

https://software.intel.com/en-us/computer-vision-sdk-support/code-samples

Regards,

Stav

Hello , 

I want to install Intel CV SDK on Intel CPU /Xeon on Ubuntu  do I still need the OpenCL Run time patch to run the application ?

Thanks and Regards,

Rishab Goel

Rishab Goel

Leave a Comment

Please sign in to add a comment. Not a member? Join today