Beta SDK

Beta SDK

"Hi Florian, Just to give you the heads-up - I'm seeing an issue with the latest SDK installer - I've attached a screen shot below. My system is XP SP2. The 05 sdk installed fine. Cheers Simon" Please assist? Thanks Ahead! Florian Piroth ISV Ecosystem Enabling Manager United Kingdom Intel Corp | ISV Emerging and Enabling Team | Software Partner Program Office: +49 911 9339 2171 | E-Mail: florianx.piroth@intel.com
13 posts / 0 new
Last post
For more complete information about compiler optimizations, see our Optimization Notice.

Hello Florian,

Windows XP SP2 is not supported with the SDK as stated in the release notes which are also part of the SDK itself:
http://appdeveloper.intel.com/en-us/article/intel-atom-developer-program-software-development-kit-alpha-release-notes

Please crosstest with XP SP3 and report back. Screenshots cannot be attached here in the moment, please provide an http/ftp link and we will investigate the problem for you. Thanks.

Best Regards,

Andre B.

Intel® Atom™ Developer Program

Hi Andre,

I will ask the ISV to upload the Screen shot to and FTP and will post that Link.
The Screen shot provided shows an Error Message within the Install Process that says " You need to run in Windows* XP SP2 and above to install this product"

Thanks ahead,

Florian Piroth
ISV Ecosystem Enabling Manager United Kingdom

Intel Corp | ISV Emerging and Enabling Team | Software Partner Program
Office: +49 911 9339 2171 | E-Mail: florianx.piroth@intel.com

Hello Florian,

I have investigated this case and it seems to be a bug that you receive a XP SP2 message.
The iadp_sdk_09.msi requires Windows XP SP3 but still shows a wrong popup with the SP2 string in it.
I let you know as soon as I get feedback from the SDK developer team.

Best Regards,

Andre B.

Hello Andre,

"Hi Florian,
Image linky:
http://www.strawdogstudios.com/incoming/image001.jpg

Unfortunately it's a bit of a blocker this one - I'm not that keen on installing SP3 at the moment, mainly since I'm slap bang in the middle of beta on another project but also because I've read some hairy stories of borked SP3 installs and I can't risk any downtime on my work machine just now. :(

Cheers
Simon"

That's definitely a Show stopper!

Thanks

Yeah, I wouldn't say "borked", but upgrading from SP1 (or whatever stock XP64 is) did slow my boot time down. Not the time between power on and "Welcome", but the time before double clicking on an icon actually did anything (Firefox, etc). Sony Vegas was my catalyst for having to upgrade. Given the other Video Editing options available it was certainly worth it, but I do miss being able to start doing stuff some 30 seconds sooner.

Hello Florian,

Thanks for the picture. This is not even close to be a showstopper as your customer uses a non supported OS to say it simple.
The Beta SDK installs fine on Windows XP SP3 as it should. The release notes clearly say what is supported and what not.

Best Regards,

Andre B.

Hello Florian,

to follow up this thread: the SDK uses a crypto algorithm (SHA1-256) that exists only in SP3.
The installer will be fixed and updated with the next release. Thanks.

Best Regards,

Andre B.

Andre -

I am not sure I understand what you are saying, but I can confirm that the SDK *does not install* on an out-of-the-box Microsoft Windows XP SP2.

We'll upgrade our VM test system to SP3 but I want to know if this is a requirement for the app store customers as well, so that we can test behavior of the apps on the netbooks.

--
Jeremy Wadsack
GrandeMocha, LLC

It's my understanding that XP SP1 connected to the Internet will be owned in about 4 minutes. Don't install it. Get an XP SP 2 (or later) image and start from there.

SP3 is pretty common and widely installed and perfectly fine, from my experience (that was only ~30 machines though). And also vastly improves security.

--
Jeremy Wadsack
GrandeMocha, LLC

Hi Jeremy,

Thank you for your query.

The supported system configuration for using the SDK is listed on this link: http://appdeveloper.intel.com/en-us/article/intel-atom-developer-program-software-development-kit-alpha-release-notes

From the list of supported you can also see that it mentioned that is supported on Windows XP (Home or Professional) with Service Pack 3. Hence , SP3 is required for using the SDK.

Kind Regards,
Rooven

Intel® Atom™ Developer Program Team.

Regards,
DG Rooven

Hi Rooven,

Thanks for the link. That talks about the requirements for running the SDK (i.e. for the developer). I am trying to understand what test environments we should be building and want to know which versions of Windows will be supported for the clients; that is, for the consumers who are buying and installing our apps from the ADP Store.

Jeremy Wadsack
GrandeMocha, LLC

Hi Jeremy,

Thank you for your query.

The current drafted list of required operating systems (client-side) is below:

- Windows XP
- Windows 7
- Moblin v2.1
- Ubuntu Moblin Remix
- SUSE® edition of Moblin for Netbooks
- Xandros Moblin v2-compliant desktop
- Linpus Linux Lite 1.2

Concerning the versions of Windows XP and Windows 7, I will have to check this and get back to you when I receive a confirmation.
In general, they will be the operating system that are shipped (originally) installed on the netbooks when you buy them. For e.g for windows 7 some netbooks may come with built in Windows 7 Starter (as Premium or higher versions may be too resourceful).

I will update you the specific versions of Windows what are required, when I get the information.

Regards
Rooven

Intel® Atom™ Developer Program Team.

Regards,
DG Rooven

Leave a Comment

Please sign in to add a comment. Not a member? Join today