Should the "silent MSI" install for the current user or all users?

Should the "silent MSI" install for the current user or all users?

Per the Packaging Requirements (http://appdeveloper.intel.com/en-us/article/packaging-requirements) we should be creating a Windows package that includes a silent install through a single MSI file. During this install should we install the app for only the current user or for all users on the system. Or more to the point, will the installer for the ADP store client install to just the current user or all users? After all, our app will be dependent on this working to run. -- Jeremy Wadsack GrandeMocha, LLC
7 posts / 0 new
Last post
For more complete information about compiler optimizations, see our Optimization Notice.

Hello Jeremy,

good questions, I will try to get an answer for you. Thanks.

Best Regards,

Andre B.

Intel® Atom™ Developer Program

I would like clarification on this as well. By default Visual Studio 2008 Setup and Deployment project MSI's support silent installation using the /silent switch during install. Additionally, I am not sure why a silent install would be preferred as some users would like to change the installation path. Thank you.

Hi Guys,

Thank you for the query.

Intel requires the developers to allow "Purchaser(s) to use an Approved Application on at least five (5) devices associated with the Purchaser's account (per extended distribution agreement, and further supported in standard app EULA terms).

Thus, it is per MACHINE, not per user.
The machine must have one user account connected to the store

Note: Intel controls the machine count, so the developers should not worry about the machine count.

Regards
Rooven

Intel® Atom™ Developer Program Team.

Regards,
DG Rooven

Rooven -

Thanks for the reply. If the machine has several user accounts will they all have the store client installed? Will each account possibly have a different id in the store to handle authorization?

--
Jeremy Wadsack
GrandeMocha, LLC

Brian -

My understanding from what I've read in the docs is that in the future the store may install apps into a known directory, not letting the developer or the consumer choose the location. I believe this was mentioned in the SDK guide.

--
Jeremy Wadsack
GrandeMocha, LLC

Jeremy,

Thank you, that makes sense. Please see my more detailed question on the /qn (silent) issue if you have time:

http://appdeveloper.intel.com/en-us/node/685

Leave a Comment

Please sign in to add a comment. Not a member? Join today