Suggestion: Try before buy

Suggestion: Try before buy

Many users want to try applications before buy. Developer can create a light (demo) version and upload to store, or evaluation version (with 30days of test period) and give this version to users. Is only way, to give a chance for users to try before buy from AppUp is a first way (demo or light versions). I think it would be nice if Intel developers add some "try before buy" functionality to the SDK. My vision: some new API function - void EnableTrial(int numberOfDays) bool IsApplicationExpired() In AppUp two buttons - Buy and Try. Then user click on the Try button application downloads to the user netbook, after first launch ATDS remembers a date of first launch. ATDS Checks number of trial days, adds number of days to first launch date, compares with current date, and if application evaliation period is not expired - allows application to launch or (evaluation period is expired) shows error message box "Evaluation period has been expired, do you want to buy this application?" with button - Buy Now
5 posts / 0 new
Last post
For more complete information about compiler optimizations, see our Optimization Notice.

Dmitry,

I support this suggestion, as would help boost sales by giving would be customers a taste of the app without committing. It would be easy to integrate into existing applications as the ATOM SDK is handling authorization already. Great suggestion

Hello,

Yes, it's a great idea.
This would then require developers (those wanting to do it) to develop two versions of their applications, one trial and one full version. The trial version may have some limited functionalities which may also encourage users to go for the full version after they had a 'taste' of the application.

However this will greatly depends on the type of application. For example for games, they should all have limited features for the trial versions since if it would be the same as the full version but only 30 days trial or so, many people out there can easily complete a game in a week or so, or even less. :)

But it's a great suggestion. I will pass the information to the development team so that they can consider it for future releases of the SDK and supported scenerios.

Thanks for the feedback.

Regards
Rooven

Intel® Atom™ Developer Program Team

Regards,
DG Rooven

Why two versions? :) If SDK will provide a new function called (for example)

bool IsEvaluated()

Developer can insert verifications inside code to limit application functionality

Hi Dmitry,

I agree with you that the developer can write the code to limit the application functionality for the trial and then if they want to buy the full version then they can buy the 'Unlocking code' and then unlock the full feature of the application. However this is currently not supported on the IADP as it has already been decided and defined on the application readiness checklist: http://appdeveloper.intel.com/en-us/article/application-readiness-checklist

Quote: If your application is a trial or demo version, it must clearly indicate such when run, and it must not attempt to upsell future applications.

In this way, developers will have to submit two versions of the app as if only one version is available which would be a trial then unlock the full version after buying the 'unlock code',at some point some users or developers may make the unlock code available outside the IADP and this is not the intention of the whole IADP Program.

Regards
Rooven

Intel® Atom™ Developer Program Team

Regards,
DG Rooven

Leave a Comment

Please sign in to add a comment. Not a member? Join today