Appropriate responses for ADP authorization failures

Appropriate responses for ADP authorization failures

I'm trying to find info about how end users will be interacting with the app store, and what some of the ADP error messages actually mean, in order to better compose helpful messages in the event of error returns on the ADP authorization calls. For example: ADP_FAILURE Especially on the ADP_Initialize(), this would seem to indicate either a corrupted installation, or perhaps a network comms failure. Is it suitable to tell the user to reinstall the app, and/or try again later? ADP_NOT_AVAILABLE What does this one mean? ADP_INCOMPATIBLE_VERSION When would this happen, since we're static linking? ADP_NOT_AUTHORIZED Since this would be the message seen if the app was simply copied to another device, we probably want to point these users to the app store to download a licensed copy. Does the store have an official name? URL? OTOH, are there other common reasons for this message occurring? System changes/upgrades, or ??? ADP_AUTHORIZATION_EXPIRED I presume this is for an application licensed for a limited time period, but did not see any such options in the payment model. Is that a future plan, or does this message perhaps refer to something else? Thanks, -- John
8 posts / 0 new
Last post
For more complete information about compiler optimizations, see our Optimization Notice.

John,

ADP_FAILURE: Currently I am using this to indicate any number of failures in the ATOM SDK. This could be network issues, or a defect in the SDK

ADP_NOT_AVAILABLE: I use this to indicate whether or not the client application could communicate with the locally installed ATDS service. * There is much speculation here, it could mean they disabled the windows service...

ADP_INCOMPATIBLE_VERSION: This could happen quite easily, should the user run an ATOM application that was compiled against an older version of the SDK which is deemed "incompatible" by the SDK's internal methods.

ADP_NOT_AUTHORIZED: Your assumption is correct. There is no official name or URL yet. This is of little consequence, since you will be re-compiling your applications against the final release of the ATOM SDK prior to anyone using it in production. At that time we should have more details.

ADP_AUTHORIZATION_EXPIRED: There are references in the documentation to certain apps being authorized to run for only so long. The details are not there yet, but I assume this wil lbe something like "100 hours of stock trading usage", etc.

I hope some of that helps, realizing much about the details of the ATOM Store are unknown at this point. Please let me know if I can clarify things better. I bet C.V. Vicks can add a bit as well.

Yeah, this and several other things (Silent MSI Installer Info) make me think Intel should maybe have a "Best Practices" guide. Not requirements per se, but something the majority of us can refer to for a consistent end user experience.

Myself I do my ADP stuff before creating my fullscreen context. So when there's a failure, I use a standard Windows message box to quote the ADP error code constant name. The error names are self relative self explanatory, but in the case of ADP not running, we *may* be able to provide a tip to the users if it's a common problem. So an Intel sanctioned list of extended description text might be nice.

Thanks Brian, that's a great list. I'd love to see something like it added in comments to the adpcore.h and C++ equivalent.

--
John

Brian writes:
"This is of little consequence, since you will be re-compiling your applications against the final release of the ATOM SDK prior to anyone using it in production."

This morning I received a message that the AppUp store is live, and yet, there was never a 'final' SDK release, and I never got a chance to update my application messages according to the helpful info provided in this topic.

Even worse, my application has a significant bug that should have prevented its successful validation (it accidentally writes its saved state file to the root of drive C), but I didn't resubmit it because of the expectation that I eventually had to rebuild it anyway.

Please advise whether I should immediately update my application with the above changes, and how to do so. I'm guessing it starts from the Dashboard, with "Edit Application", but additional details would be welcome.

--
John

John,

The App Store (AppUp) is now available as a Beta. It is not the final vesion, hence there is no final version of the ATOM SDK yet.

To update your application, simply selected EDIT, and follow the wizard to upload a new MSI installer. Please note that by uploading a new MSI, the testers will run the entire binary validation process again which may take a few days.

one addition to the above discussion:
If the validation succeeds, then dont show a "ADP_SUCCESS" or a "ADP_VALIDATED" message box-- one of my apps got rejected in the past-- because they expect that if successful, the app will just run-- without any messages etc.

Regards,

NS

Thanks Nalin, perhaps an article on Do's and Don'ts will be coming soon.

Leave a Comment

Please sign in to add a comment. Not a member? Join today