AppUp Launching - Windows 7, UAC Bypass UI Protection, and Trusted Locations

AppUp Launching - Windows 7, UAC Bypass UI Protection, and Trusted Locations

Hi There, I have a few questions: 1) Are there any known or potential issues with the AppUp store launching apps that have the UAC "Bypass UI Protection" flag enabled on Windows 7? 2) Apps that have this flag enabled need to be installed in a trusted location (e.g. "C:\Program Files") on Windows 7 or they won't run. Will the AppUp store always (i.e. now and in the future) install apps to trusted locations, and if not, will there be an option to force installation to a trusted location? 3) Does the validation process used by the AppUp validation team install an app in the same location as when we beta test it? That is, if my app is installed in "C:\Program Files" when I beta test it, is it also installed in "C:\Program Files" on the AppUp validation test system? Cheers, James Stewart
13 posts / 0 new
Last post
For more complete information about compiler optimizations, see our Optimization Notice.

Hi Guys,

I'm currently testing a fix for this issue (it's working with beta tests, but it's still failing the approval process), and I would really appreciate it if someone on the AppUp team could PM me.

Hello James,

based from my understanding you will not fail validation when your applications triggers the UAC prompt. Thats the same as for Moblin applications. We don't know if in the future the path for applications will change with a newer version of the Intel® AppUp(SM) Center.

The behaviour your application shows during Beta Test is the same as the Validation Team will see. Thats the whole point behind the Beta Test, to catch errors in a "real world" scenario.

Best Regards,

Andre B.

Technical Support Team
Intel® Atom™ Developer Program
Intel® AppUp(SM) Center

Hi Andre,

Thank you very much for responding.

1) I understand that triggering the UAC prompt will not cause the app to fail validation. My questions are regarding a UAC setting that's configured in the manifest file of an app (/MANIFESTUAC:uiAccess=true). No UAC prompt is involved. My app has the following behavior during validation:

* The app passes all tests on Windows XP. It can be successfully downloaded, installed, and launched via the AppUp store.
* On Windows 7 the app can be successfully downloaded and installed via the AppUp store, but fails during launch.
* However, the app can be run natively (i.e. via its Desktop and Program Menu shortcuts) on Windows 7 after installation via the AppUp store.

Since the app installs on both Windows XP and Windows 7, and runs after installation on both operating systems, I think I can rule out a problem with the installer. Since the app runs natively on Windows 7 and also has a very large non-AppUp Windows 7 install base (who would scream bloody murder if the app failed to run on Windows 7), I can also rule out a conflict with the app and Windows 7.

The only point of failure is launching the app via the AppUp store on Windows 7, hence my questions. Any insight as to what could cause the app to fail to launch (considering the installer works correctly and the app itself otherwise runs without problems) would be greatly appreciated.

2) I would really appreciate it if the AppUp team could take into account that certain applications, including Accessibility applications designed for those with disabilities, need to be installed in trusted locations in order to work on Windows 7.

3) I ask if there's any difference in the install directories between the validation and beta test because if the beta installs in "C:\Program Files" but the validation test installs in "C:\ValidationTest" (or some other non-trusted location) then an app with this UAC setting will run successfully during the beta test, but fail during validation.

Hello James,

thanks for your detailed feedback. I will discuss your points with the team and let you know when I have some feedback.

Best Regards,

Andre B.

Technical Support Team
Intel® AppUp(SM) Center

Hello James,

there are a couple of article about this topic:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa905330.aspx
http://blogs.msdn.com/uac/archive/2006/01/13/512776.aspx

uiAccess

• false - The application does not need to drive input to the UI of another window on the desktop. Applications that are not providing accessibility should set this flag to false. Applications that are required to drive input to other windows on the desktop (on-screen keyboard, for example) should set this value to true.

• true - The application is allowed to bypass UI protection levels to drive input to higher privilege windows on the desktop. This setting should only be used for UI Accessibility applications.

From what I gather uiAccess=true is generally intended for accessibility utilities. If you do need uiAccess Enabled, then the executable needs to be digitally signed and must be installed under %Windir% or %ProgramFiles%.

When you submit your software please describe your scenario in to the notes to the Validation Team so they can adjust the validation process for your case.

Best Regards

Andre B.

Technical Support Team
Intel® AppUp(SM) Center

Andre: As per my comments at http://appdeveloper.intel.com/en-us/node/1035, my app is digitally signed and installed in the Program Files directory, so can you please confirm that if I mention the UAC requirements to the validation team then (assuming no other problems) my app will be successfully validated and the validation team won't see the Windows 7 launching problem I described at http://appdeveloper.intel.com/en-us/node/1035?

Hello James,

only the Validation Team can confirm this, you can reach them at the address: iadp-validation@intel.com
Please share the results with us here.

Best Regards

Andre B.

Technical Support Team
Intel® AppUp(SM) Center

Andre: It's been 4 weeks (Feb 5th) since I first posted about this issue and I've been waiting, as instructed, for the results of your investigation for nearly 3 weeks.

For the future reference of other developers, can you please confirm that the result of your investigation is that developers should contact the validation team if they experience the same problem as me, and that there is no issue with the AppUp store launching processes with specific UAC attributes on Windows 7?

Hello,

currently some questions take a long time to find an answer and we try to improve this situation.
Besides this you can always submit your software and see what the validation result will be.

You wanted me to confirm if you application will pass validation. That's something the Support Team cannot answer as validation is being done in a different department whom you need to contact directly. Also I gave you the information to add a description of the special needs of you application in the "Submitter Notes" so the validator can take this into account.

The AppUp Center has been checked by various reports of "Oops messages" and we found no problems on our side.

Best Regards

Andre B.

Technical Support Team
Intel® AppUp(SM) Center

Andre: I just wanted to confirm whether the information you posted (i.e. "tell the validation team that the app uses UAC") was the solution to the problem I'm experiencing, but things have gone all Monty Python :)

We've decided we're just going to leave the app as XP-only for now. If the problem is solved at some point in the future then we'll gladly resubmit the app for Windows 7.

Did you all fix this problem on Windows 7? I'm having the exact same issue with my app. Any new news or fixes on this?

Hi Norman,

The fix is planned for a future release of the client (no ETA at this time). The current issue is that a UAC prompt is displayed but it appears behind the AppUp application so is not seen.

Regards
Hal G.
Technical Support Team
Intel AppUp(SM) Center

Leave a Comment

Please sign in to add a comment. Not a member? Join today