FPS - different damage depending of collision area

FPS - different damage depending of collision area

I would like to know what is the best way of giving more damage to a NPC if i shoot it in the head.
A ragdoll could be to heavy.
Any sugestions?

Thanks in advance!

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
For more complete information about compiler optimizations, see our Optimization Notice.

There's a bunch of ways to approach this and you'll have to pick the one that works best for you.

You could try using a phantom or a trigger volume.
A phantom is basically just an aabb that you'd place at your NPC's head position, then you can say do a raycast against it to simulate the path of a bullet, or test whether objects have collidied with it.
A trigger volume is roughly similar but lets you use any shape not just an aabb.
Check out the Physics/UseCase/TriggerVolume and Physics/Api/Dynamics/Phantoms demos.

Alternatively, you could just do an asynchronous shape query.
This is a one-off collision/casting query on an arbitrary shape, so you'd set up your 'head' shape yourself and then query whether a 'bullet ray' is passing through it, or any objects in the world have collided with it.
See the Physics/Api/Collide/AsynchronousQueries/ demos.

Thanks for your quick reply.
What do you mean by Set up the head?

All I mean is to place your 'head' shape at the appropriate world position that represents the NPC head when doing the collision or raycasting query.

Ah ok mate.

Thank youvery much!

Leave a Comment

Please sign in to add a comment. Not a member? Join today