Refuses to recognize JDK

Refuses to recognize JDK

During the installation of INDE, I came to the point where it looks for java support.  Not finding it, a screen comes up with a link which gets one to the download page of the needed "accessory". 

I dutifully downloaded the product and installed it.  Re-ran the installation and stops at the same point, "Prerequisite Issues Summary" with the link to  download the Java JDK.  So, thinking that something must have gone awry, I once again downloaded the product and installed it.  And Re-ran the installation.  Unfortunately, I get stopped at the EXACT same point no matter how I approach it. 

Am I missing something here??

Mitch

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
For more complete information about compiler optimizations, see our Optimization Notice.

Hi Mitch, Can you check your Environment Variable - JAVA_HOME. It is usually set by the JDK installation. But sometimes, it may not be the case. In that case, you have manually set the environment var in your System Properties. First a few questions to start with:

1) Did you install 32 bit or 64 bit JDK?

2) Can you check your installation directory - Mine looks like "C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jdk1.8.0_05" which is 32 bit JDK for MSVS integration. If you have 64 bit, then it will be under C:\Program Files\Java\...

3) Once you have this info, you can go ahead and edit the environment vars. If you need help here, please let me know.

Thanks!

Hi Karthiyayini,

According to the "installation" software, the MSVS installation REQUIRES 32-bit JDK (so even though my machine is 64bit, if I want to use MSVS, it must be in 32-bit). 

As for the JAVA_HOME env variable, there was NOTHING set in either my personal variables nor the system variables.  So, I put it in the "system" variables area, pointing to the jdk, (C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.8.0_45) and still fails to proceed past the search for the jdk.

I installed from the reference point provided in the installation (and it appears that it installed the 64-bit version - mine is a 64-bit machine, so expected right??).  Because of the fact that the installation software mentions 32-bit jdk, I can't get past the thought that perhaps it found only the 64-bit and needs 32-bit, so it get stuck.  Do I really need to install the 32-bit, or is it a mistake in the install software??

thanks,

Mitch

Even though your windows machine is 64 bit, you can still install 32 bit software and those will be under C:\Program Files(x86). If you install your 32 bit JDK, it will be put under that too. Since VS plugins are 32 bit only, which is a requirement from Microsoft, you will need 32 bit JDK if you want IDE Integration into VS and your JAVA_HOME needs to point to that. Thanks!

Even though your windows machine is 64 bit, you can still install 32 bit software and those will be under C:\Program Files(x86). If you install your 32 bit JDK, it will be put under that too. Since VS plugins are 32 bit only, which is a requirement from Microsoft, you will need 32 bit JDK if you want IDE Integration into VS and your JAVA_HOME needs to point to that. Thanks!

Leave a Comment

Please sign in to add a comment. Not a member? Join today