Getting Ocean Fog Demo running...

Getting Ocean Fog Demo running...

Hi,

As I try to build and run the source Ocean Fog demo I ran into the following two issues:

1. On Debug and Profile I cannot build due to:

>Performing Custom Build Step

>'fxc.exe' is not recognized as an internal or external command,operable program or batch file.

>Project : error PRJ0019: A tool returned an error code from "Performing Custom Build Step"

2. On Release I get the following Link Warning and then crash when running

>Linking...

>LINK : warning LNK4199: /DELAYLOAD:d3dx10_36.dll ignored; no imports found from d3dx10_36.dll

First-chance exception at 0x0042e73b in OceanFog.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation reading location 0x00000000.

Unhandled exception at 0x0042e73b in OceanFog.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation reading location 0x00000000.

I am building it on Windows 7, 64 bit system VS2008 as a Win32 version with DirectX Aug 2009 SDK.

Any help would be appreaciated.

Professor Jose Villeta
USC GamePipe Labs

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
For more complete information about compiler optimizations, see our Optimization Notice.

Jose, for the first issue, the problem is that Visual Studio can't find the binaries in the DirectX SDK. You can change this in VS2008 by going to Tools->Options... then in the dialog box, expand Projects and Solutions, select VC++ Directories. A combo box titled "Show directories for:" will appear, select "Executable files" from that. Then in the list box, add a new entry with:

$(DXSDK_DIR)\Utilities\Bin\x86

The second problem you're experiencing sounds like a run-time crash (dereferencing a NULL pointer). Probably once you are able to build the Debug build and run that, you'll see where the error is actually occuring. Give it a go and post what you find.

Brad

Hi,
I am trying to get the Debug version building and get new errors that I don't get on release.

1>Performing Custom Build Step

1>l:\USC\GHA\ParallelArchitectureForGames\OceanFog\Effects\fogMesh.fx(131,21): warning X3206: implicit truncation of vector type

1>l:\USC\GHA\ParallelArchitectureForGames\OceanFog\Effects\fogMesh.fx(148,60): warning X3206: implicit truncation of vector type

1>l:\USC\GHA\ParallelArchitectureForGames\OceanFog\Effects\fogMesh.fx(151,17): warning X3206: implicit truncation of vector type

1>l:\USC\GHA\ParallelArchitectureForGames\OceanFog\Effects\fogMesh.fx(152,17): warning X3206: implicit truncation of vector type

1>l:\USC\GHA\ParallelArchitectureForGames\OceanFog\Effects\fogMesh.fx(157,18): warning X3206: implicit truncation of vector type

1>l:\USC\GHA\ParallelArchitectureForGames\OceanFog\Effects\fogMesh.fx(162,24): warning X3206: 'mul': implicit truncation of vector type

1>l:\USC\GHA\ParallelArchitectureForGames\OceanFog\Effects\fogMesh.fx(162,9): warning X3206: implicit truncation of vector type

1>l:\USC\GHA\ParallelArchitectureForGames\OceanFog\Effects\fogMesh.fx(168,19): warning X3206: implicit truncation of vector type

1>l:\USC\GHA\ParallelArchitectureForGames\OceanFog\Effects\fogMesh.fx(170,19): warning X3206: implicit truncation of vector type

1>l:\USC\GHA\ParallelArchitectureForGames\OceanFog\Effects\fogMesh.fx(175,9): warning X3206: implicit truncation of vector type

1>l:\USC\GHA\ParallelArchitectureForGames\OceanFog\Effects\fogMesh.fx(180,11): warning X3206: implicit truncation of vector type

1>l:\USC\GHA\ParallelArchitectureForGames\OceanFog\Effects\fogMesh.fx(195,24): error X4000: variable 'Output' used without having been completely initialized

1>l:\USC\GHA\ParallelArchitectureForGames\OceanFog\Effects\fogMesh.fx(224,20): There was an error compiling expression

1>Microsoft Direct3D Shader Compiler 9.27.952.3012

1>Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation 2002-2009. All rights reserved.

1>compilation failed; no code produced

1>Project : error PRJ0019: A tool returned an error code from "Performing Custom Build Step"

1>Build log was saved at "file://l:\USC\GHA\ParallelArchitectureForGames\OceanFog\Debug\BuildLog.htm"

Any ideas?

jose

fixed for Debug and Release config.. WorldPos needs to be initialized. correction in boldRenderSceneVSOUT VSlamp( float4 vPos : POSITION, float3 vNormal : NORMAL, float2 vTexCoord0 : TEXCOORD ){ RenderSceneVSOUT Output; Output.WorldPos = float3(0,0,0); // Transform the position from object space to homogeneous projection space Output.Position = mul(vPos, g_mWorldViewProjection); Output.ClipDistance.x = dot( float4( Output.WorldPos, 1.0f ), ClipPlane ); return Output;}RenderSceneVSOUT VSlamp( float4 vPos : POSITION, float3 vNormal : NORMAL, float2 vTexCoord0 : TEXCOORD ){ RenderSceneVSOUT Output; //Output.ClipDistance = 0.0f; Output.WorldPos = float3(0,0,0); // Transform the position from object space to homogeneous projection space Output.Position = mul(vPos, g_mWorldViewProjection); Output.ClipDistance.x = dot( float4( Output.WorldPos, 1.0f ), ClipPlane );

return Output;}

Leave a Comment

Please sign in to add a comment. Not a member? Join today