search for functions of the old CVF 6.6 Array viewer in IVF 9.0

search for functions of the old CVF 6.6 Array viewer in IVF 9.0

Hello,

I am using IVF 9.0 on MS VS 2003. I have used CVF 6.6 before. In the new Array viewer i cant find functions of the old CVF array viewer. For examble:
- posibillity to take an multidimensional array and present 2 selected dimensions with the viewer
- posibillity to reduce the range of presented data for one or more axis
- posibillity to change the color representation range

The problem might be based on the lack of my abillity to find the certain menu items. Or are those posibillities not includet any more?

Thanks in advance

Frank

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
For more complete information about compiler optimizations, see our Optimization Notice.

Hello,

I have to add one information. I am using the array viewer inside the debug mode. I am not starting the array viewer from inside of the fortran code.

Frank

Hello Frank,

Sorry for the delay in responding, I've just gotten back from vacation and am trying to get caught up.

I think most of the functionality you are looking for is present in Intel AV, but getting to it will be a bit different than what you are used to in Compaq AV.

First of all, since you are using AV from the IDE, I should mention you need to right-click on the AV tool window in the IDE and select "Array Viewer" if you need to customize the graph. The Viewer has property pages and wizards for modifying or creating graphs, but the AV Tool Window in the IDE does not.

Here are some hints for the three issues you've brought up:

1) Displaying two selected dimensions:
In the Viewer, if you right-click on a dataset in the tree pane and select "Properties", you'll see a field labeled "Sections". A Section defines a subset of the parent dataset (for example, the first 500 elements of a 1000 element one-dimensional dataset).
To create a section that defines a 2D "slice" of a three-dimensional dataset, click the "New" button on theProperty dialog. This will create a new section that by default references the entire dataset. Since the dataset has rank 3, you'll see three rows of Start, End, and Stride values. Pick one of these dimensions and set the start value equal to the end value. And click "Close". You'll see a sub-item under that dataset icon. Clicking on it displays that section as a grid in the right pane. For any dataset you can create as many Sections as you want.
To use a section in a graph, just click on the section icon in the graph wizard. It might be helpful to look at a sample datafile such as Data/HDF5/astrojet.h5 and see how the sections or set up for the dataset "dset". If you play around with the page "astrojet" or "image slice" you can see how it is possible to move a slider and adjust the slice plane through the dataset. These pages work via script code on the pages updating the start/end values of the appropriate section.

2) Reduce the range of presented data for one or more axis
The graph wizards typically default to the entire range of data. To reduce the range for independent variables you can define a new section as described above. For dependent variables the wizard should present the range based on the min and max values in the dataset (or dataset section). You can override this just be typing in new values.
It's possible to reduce the range in an existing graph as well, but may be moretedious to modify-- e.g. the axes and the plot components will need to be updated.

3) Change the color representation:
This is fairly easy. I'll use astrojet.h5 again as an example of what to do --
InTree paneexand the subitmes ofthe graph "slice1" and you'll see another icon also called "slice1". This is the Image plot of the "slice1" graph. Right-click on this icon, select "Properties" and then select "Color" from the left-hand column in the Property Page. The bottom two fields are labled "Range Start" and "Range End". Just update these to the desired values, click "Close"and the graph will update.

OK -- I see I've blabbed on for a fair bit. Let me know if these s
uggestions help. If you have ideas for how Intel AVcan be improved, please let us know. I think the data model implemented by AV is very powerful, but it some cases the user interface isn't doing all it can to make this power accessible. We'll be working on making the Viewer easier to use in future releases.

One other note: AV from the debugger vs. Array Viewer stand-alone vs. AV from Fortran or C all use the same object model. So anything you learn in one mode will apply with other usage models.

John

Message Edited by jlreadey on 01-09-2006 12:59 PM

Hello John,

first of all thank you very much for your answer.

Now I have found the first steps inside the IVF-Array viewer. Who ever has developed the new Array-viewer has done a perfekt job to hide the functionallity. Sorry for those hard words.

One of your suggestions I cannot follow. I have created a section and now I want to use the section in a graph. You are writing "... To use a section in a graph, just click on the section icon in the graph wizard. ...". This is two steps to fast. Where can I find the graph wizard?

You are asking for ideas how the Intel AV can be improved. In my option you should look back to the old CVF AV. There are many reasons for it.
- the functionality is not hidded in a Right-click, it is placed in menuitems and buttons.
- I can open one dialog for each displayed array (I havent found this function until now in the IVF AV), This is needed for a simple comparison of two or more arrays.

The first dialog which opens when I start to AV is a nice but mostly useless dialog. In my field of work (developing statistical regional climate models) I need mostly the functionallity of the main AV. So my opinion is: remove it or improve it. Again Sorry for those hard words.

At the end I want to say, that looking at the samples, there are very usefull functions hidded somewere inside the AV. I hope I will have the time to explore and understand those functions.

Thanks in advance
Frank

Thanks for your comments! It's always good to get feedback from someone who is trying the product for the first time. From the developers point of view, being too familiar with the product can make it hard to understand what factors are important in making it easier to use.

Anyway, let me fill in the blanks with regards to my "use a section in a graph" comment: So we've defined a section (say a 2d slice of a 3d dataset). Suppose the name of the dataset is "mydset" and then name of the section is "mysection". In the Viewer you can use the menu: Edit->Add, Graph2D (for 2d graphs) or Graph3D (for 3d graphs) to bring up the graph wizard.
In the first pane of the wizard you choose the plot type (say Image), a name for the graph and then click Next. What you see next is dependent on the plot type you choose, but usually involves selecting one or more data sources. For an Image plot there's just one dataset to select, the Color Source. You can select the section from the tree in the wizard dialog. Once you make the selection you'll see the value in the Color Source edit box updated to: /mydset@mysection. /mydset is the path to the dataset and the @mysection indicates that the section should be used rather than the entire dataset.

The graph wizard was actually an improvement on what we had prior to the 9.0 release (!), but theres still a lot of things we can do to enhance usability. Additional toolbar icons as you suggest would make it easier to get to the wizard. Something else that I've been thinking about is some form of default plotting often you dont want to go through all the steps of the wizard, you just need a default plot.

What kind of comparison function of two arrays are you thinking about? Side by side plots? A difference plot?

Im not sure what you mean by the first dialog, do you mean the tool window you see in the IDE when select View Array?

The data samples contain some good illustrations of what you can do in AV. Take a look at the program samples too if you get a chance. If you want to set up a customized graph, it might be easier to do so programmatically than use the Viewer UI.

John

Hello,

I am new to Intel Visual Fortran 9.1. After converting my project from CVF to IVF, I am forced to use the Intel Array Visualizer Fortran Library. I am surprised to find that simple features like the Color Pallette and Axis Labels are not available as library routines. Since there are no examples of using the objects in Fortran, I cannot figure out how to do this.

Please help.

Sincerely,

Fred

Leave a Comment

Please sign in to add a comment. Not a member? Join today