trouble programming for output from *.f.90 file w/ Compaq Visual Array

trouble programming for output from *.f.90 file w/ Compaq Visual Array

First off, am not a programmer but am hoping someone can explain this.

Imported a workingG77 fortran file into VF6.6.In past, i'd compile and run BinA filefrom dos but cannot figure how to do this from windows. In reading old threads; i attempted to use "call **bleep**lShow (t(i), status)" but the sample "simple2" is very difficult to understand.For example, am i also required to use **bleep**lEndWatch(M, status), deallocate(M), et al to view my output in VF? Where do i need to place these call statements in respect to my program?

Thought this would be straight foward, but am getting abit overwhelmed. Could some please explain this method?

Also, am confused as to theway to open a new workspace. When i imported the G77 file into VF, it came in as a *.f file. Thenread i needed a *.f.90 file.So do i copy the same file as a *.f.90 and create an output.f.90 file too? Which fileshould i compile (*.f) or (*.f.90)? From the window, the *.f.90 file appears different (no green font).
Thanks for the forum, hope u can help. lth

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
For more complete information about compiler optimizations, see our Optimization Notice.

Hi,

You've touched on a variety of topics (not all within my area of expertise), but let me see if I can help...

In Windows you can still open a command prompt (Start, Accessories, Command Prompt in XP), cd to the directory which contains the program and run it. The Command Prompt window is not really DOS, but it works more or less the same. You could also just open "My Computer", browse to the directory that contains the program and double-click to run it. Or you can run it directly from CVF.

Regarding the proper sequence of AV calls, there are some samples (e.g. Array Visualizer/Samples/Fortran/Simple.f90) that come with the program that show typical usage. To view an array M you'd want the following:

call aglStartWatch(M, status)
call aglShow(M, status)

I've left off the "f" the proceeds the "agl" to avoid the stupid **bleep** replacements used by the forum.
once your program is done you can call aglEndWatch(M, status), but that is optional.

For the file extension, if the code is F77 you'll want to keep it as .f which is used for fixed format. There's a new generation of fortran (F90) which uses doesn't use the fixed column placements of F77. If you use the wrong extension the colorizer will get confused. (And I guess the compiler won't be happy either!)

I hope this helps! Happy programming!

John

Message Edited by jlreadey on 11-14-2005 01:03 PM

Your response is very appreciated and you're correct, the colorizer did not like my extension, now running fine. Still cannot open the array visualizer with the aglstartwatch(M,status)and aglshow (M, status).I redefined M=t(i) (which is my array variable temperature). Execute step returns... ERROR "2 unresolved externals" for these 2 call functions. Am i putting them in the wrong area of the program? The sample prgm doesn'tspecify anywhere special. If your not laughing yet, let me know what i'm doing wrong. The sample code inHELP is very computer lingoy and i'm learning as fast as possible.lth

Did you remember to add the "f" beforeaglStartWatch? There's also a use statement you'll need. Try opening one of the sample AV projects and you can compare that withyour program.

John

Leave a Comment

Please sign in to add a comment. Not a member? Join today