Intel Array Visualizer download kit now available

Intel Array Visualizer download kit now available

Hi,

I just wanted to let everyone know about the availability of the AV Runtime download kit. If you have created an application that uses AV calls, or created a data file using AV, the AV Runtime enables others to run your application or view your data file without having to install Intel Visual Fortran or Intel C++.

The runtime kit includes all the Array Visualizer components(dlls, ocx's, Array Viewer) except for development related files (.libs, headers, mod files, etc). Once the runtime kit is installed, you should be able to move your .exe over to the system and run it. Also, you should be able to open any AV data fileswiththe Array Viewer application installed on the system.

You can get the download kit from the AV web page: www.intel.com/software/products/compilers/visualizer.htmin the download section. Kits are available for both x86 and EM64T systems.

WARNING: Do not install the download kit if you already have Intel Visual Fortran or Intel C++ installed. The download kit doesn't include anything that you don't already have as part of the Array Visualizer development package included with the compiler.

John

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
For more complete information about compiler optimizations, see our Optimization Notice.
JohnReadey wrote:
Hi,
I just wanted to let everyone know about the availability of the AV Runtime download kit. If you have created an application that uses AV calls, or created a data file using AV, the AV Runtime enables others to run your application or view your data file without having to install Intel Visual Fortran or Intel C++.

This is appreciated here. Premier Support have been working to provide me with a clear statement as to which runtime components of AV are redistributable. I am optimistic that this kit -- like it's Compaq predecessor -- will address all our needs.

Thanks very much.

Please forgive me if this question is naive.

The description on the download page reads

For systems running Microsoft Windows Server 2003 x64 Edition for 64-bit Intel Xeon processors with Intel EM64T

Will this run only on Xeon EM64T or all EM64T chips with Win64?

Thanks.

Thanks for pointing that out. I think the hardware requirements were written back when Xeon was the only chip supporting EM64T. The Pentium 4s w/EM64T will work fine as well.

I suspect it will also run on that "other" extended x86 architecture as well, though I haven't tried it myself.

I'd like to hear from anyone who's tried AV on a 64bit platform. Functionally the 64-bit version should work the same as the 32-bit version, except you'll won't be limitedto 2GB virtual memory as on x86. The extended address space should be a big help for applications that deal with really large data.

For the idly curious, I've attached a screenshot of Array Viewer running on anItanium with an 8GB array loaded.

John

Thanks for the confirmation. I understand how hard it is to keep documentation up to date.

As for that "other" architecture, I assure you we will get around to trying that and we will provide constructive feedback where appropriate. :)

The screenshot of AV handling 8 GB is a beautiful thing. I wish I had time to play -- er, work -- with it right now.

Thanks!

The download kit has been updated to include the latest AV bug fixes. If you've run into any problems with the previous version of the download kit, please try out the new version.

Also, the hardware requirementsfor the 64-bit version have been updated to include any Intel processor with EM64T technology.

Again, don't install the download kit if you already have Intel C++ or Intel Visual Fortran.

John,

The AV runtime setup kit does not install on NT. Therefore in order to distribute applications to people with NT I would have to include the runtime files in my own setup.

What are the issues, why do you only allow installation on win 2000+

Phil

AV is not supported on NT4.0. There are some calls used by AV that aren't supported on that OS. Do you have a lot of people still using NT4.0? I don't think it is being supported by Microsoft anymore. (I realize the same could be said of VB6 as well.)

Yes, there are 30,000 of us in my organisation still using NT4.

The fact that the Array Visualizer download won't even give me the option to install on NT means I cannot even test if the apps I develop will or will not work.

If I find they don't work then I will have to develop my app to just use the features that do work. The way the download kit has been packaged means I don't even have that option.

I can't see the downside of allowing the download kit to install on NT. As a developer it is my responsibility to make sure my app works on all operating systems, not Intels.

My only solution would be to re-write the download kit myself to install the required components.

As I am using only the axtivex control, is there a list of files that this control requires to be installed. The list you refer to earlier (contained in the demo install)installs much more than is actually required for the axtivex control to work - for example why would I need arrayviewer.exe installed.

I have to admit that 30,000 is a lot of NT4 users. I don't think there are any technical reasons why we couldn't support NT4,but our test and support infrastructure isn't setup to handle NT4 systems. Please contact Intel Premier Support if you feel this is a blocking issue and we can take this up through official channels.

The minimal components you'll need for the avglgraph.ocx to work are avlib.dll, avfiltersvr.exe,and avmemflsvr.exe.Ifyou use anyfile I/O you'll need the appropriate file loader. E.g. if yousave or load to or from HDF5 you'll need avhdf5flsvr.exe. See the file regall.bat in the Array Visualizer/bin directory to see how these components are registered.

I haven't tried these out on NT4 recently so I don't know if installing them yourself will get around the download kit OS check or not.

I tried registering the ocx's on a win98 machine and they just don't want to be registered, so I guess there is a reason why you only allow installation on w2k+. This is a bit of a shame.

Supporting Win98 is even more problematic than NT4.0. NT3.51, NT4.0, Windows 2000, and Windows XP all derive from the same source base and and while the UI has evolved over time the core OS is very secure and robust. While Win95, Win98, and the unfortunate WinMe are all built on top of DOS, so these OS's don't offer a lot of the services needed by AV.

For example, AV can display text using unicode characters (see the attached file). I suppose the same sort of thing could be done on Win98, but it wouldn't definately require a major effort compared to what is needed on Win2K, XP.

Givenour resource constraints, I think it makes sense not to expend a lot of effort to support legacyOS's thatI expect won't be around for much longer anyway.

Leave a Comment

Please sign in to add a comment. Not a member? Join today