ICC XE 13.0 fails to recompile only changed files on "build" command in MSVC

ICC XE 13.0 fails to recompile only changed files on "build" command in MSVC

My environment:

MSVC 2010
ICC XE 13.0
Quad core Intel CPU
using compile flags "/MP" and "/Gm".

when link phase dies because *.pdb file is in use, so it could not be overwritten, I close this file, and hit "F5" to try again. ICC is not honoring "/Gm" flag, instead, it re-compiles whole (rather big) project, over again, which lasts for another wasteful 10 minutes of waiting, though, only link is required.

The issue is still there, when I make a change to single .cpp unit, it re-compiles the whole solution.

This issue is easily to reproduce, so I will not post the test case.

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
For more complete information about compiler optimizations, see our Optimization Notice.

I should mention I am using PCH.

It is rebuilding all .cpp units, which is odd... some .cpp (and their include headers) doesn't change, but it is recompiling.

We encounter the same problem. We use Visual Studio 2012. Our projects always does a full rebuild when changing only one file.

When I switch back the project to use the Visual Studio 2012 compiler, everything works fine.
Switching to the Intel Compiler always results in a full rebuild, no matter what and where I apply changes.

Environment:
WIN7x64 ULTIMATE
MSVC 2012
ICC XE 13.0
Hexa core Intel CPU
using compile flags "/MP" but no precompiled headers.

Is this a known issue or any hints on how to correct this?

Hello,
This issue has been reported and fixed. The fix will be available in the 13.0 update 1. The update 1 should be available in about one or two month.

Jennifer

Hello Jennifer,
thank you for this information.

Quote:

th - IPACS Developer wrote:

Hello Jennifer,
thank you for this information.

Greetings, Jennifer, I thank as well as this bug was annoying (and time-consuming for large projects). EDIT: @"th - IPACS Developer": Though I am on MSVC 2010 Ultimate (x64 project) @ Vista Ultimate x64

Quote:

jljiang wrote:

Hello,
This issue has been reported and fixed. The fix will be available in the 13.0 update 1. The update 1 should be available in about one or two month.

Jennifer

Hello Jennifer, I can confirm the issue is resolved/fixed in the latest (non-beta) ICC 13.0 . Even if I am using /MP switch in MSVC 2010.

Leave a Comment

Please sign in to add a comment. Not a member? Join today