Compilation failed with application crash

59 posts / 0 new
Last post
For more complete information about compiler optimizations, see our Optimization Notice.

I installed the updates by the Windows Update in the system, and it didn't provide the Service Pack 1 for Windows 7 and VS2010 automatically. Should I need to download the SP1 and install it manually?

Hi Lee,

Yes, I recommendyou toUpdate your computer with MS Windows Updates without any exceptions.

Some time ago I informed you that there are a couple of Updates related to different versions of .NET andMS Visual Studios.

Updatesare big, but with a high speed internet it is a fast procedure. It will take some time to completely updateyour computer because Microsoft changes a lot of .NET assemblies, VS execs,VS dlls,etc.

Good luck and keep us informed!

Best regards,
Sergey

I downloaded the SP1 package for Windows manually, and it asked for 8GB of free disk space to install the update! Unfortunately, there is only 1GB free space out of 25GB partition size of the drive C. I really don't understand why it want to eat so large space just for an update.

Also, I downloaded the SP1 package for VS2010 manually. It asked for 3.8G of free space at drive C and 1.4G of free space at drive E to install! Hungry once more!

So, I have to manage to allocate much more space to the C drive to install the two SP1 package. I wish that the problem be solved by install the update.

Lee,

Now that you told us that you have a very little free space available on your C: drive, I wonder if that is maybe contributing to your problems.

Namely, 1GB free out of 25GB is only 4% of free space. It is not recommended to have less than 15% of free space on an NTFS partition at any time (especially not on a system partition!).

Having that in mind, and the fact that 25GB is a partition way too small for normal Windows 7 functioning (you need space for system and per user TEMP folders, system restore points, previous versions of files, swap and hybernation), I would recommend that you reinstall your system from scratch using Windows 7 installation ISO with SP1 slipstreamed, and this time leave more free space on the C: partition.

OS reinstall would most likely also resolve your misterious compiler problem which we are failing to reproduce here.

If, by any chance, you have partitioned your disk using some 3rd party partitioning tool or if you have removed 100MB reserved partition when you installed Windows 7, I would also recommend to remove all partitions and allow Windows 7 Setup to create them. There is a reason why that 100MB partition is created other than just having boot files on it (hint: partition start alignment).

If you are unsure how much free space you need, here is a rough guideline:

1. Windows folder (22 GB current size here, includes assemblies, SxS, and Windows Installer software and patch installation cache which on my system is 4.7 GB at the moment)
2. hibernation + swap (approx. 2x amount of RAM you have, in my case 16 GB)
3. VS2010 (approx. 2.5 GB if you use only C++ plus 1.5GB if you need debugging simbols for OS files)
4. Intel Composer (2.5 GB if you also install static IPP libraries)

That totals to 44.5 GB of space just to get started. I also recommend at leasst 10 GB of free space for TEMP at any given time (so you can later install updates which require a lot of space such as service packs, etc).

Formula:
((44.5 GB + space for other apps you need + 10 GB for temporary storage) + 5% of partition size for system restore) + 15% reserve for NTFS = C: partition size

An example calculation (if you need 3.5 GB for other applications such as Office, etc):
44.5 + 3.5 + 10 = 58

58 * 1.05 = 60.9

60.9 * 1.15 = ~70 GB

Don't forget to add space for Documents\Pictures\Video if you are using those locations, and keep in mind that web browsers and email clients can also take up a lot of space for caches.

Also, in my opinion, there is no advantage to installing programs to separate partition because C: partition is closer to the start of the drive and thus gives much faster loading times.

I can only recommend installing programs that can run in portable mode to a folder different from Program Files so you can easily get them running again if and when you need to reinstall. However, starting with Windows Vista, you must make sure that folder you install software into (in your case E:\ProgramsW7) has the same access permissions as Program Files to avoid potential installation and usage issues.

If you decide to follow my recommendations, make sure that after reinstalling Windows 7 you follow these steps:

1. Install latest chipset, video, audio, networking, and other drivers.
2. Install all available updates published after SP1 from Windows Update except language packs and other optional stuff you might not need
3. Install VS 2010
4. Install VS 2010 SP1
5. Install Intel Compiler
6. If it now works as it should, then create a restore point and continue installing other software.

Finally, I am afraid that we have reached the point where I will not be able to help you any further with your problem should you decide to keep your customized OS and software install.

Good luck!

All updates are compressed and Windows Updateneeds alot of space on a drive to uncompress it Completely.

Then, an update for a system is considered as a transaction and a rule is as follows:

it is Committed when everything is done or Rollbacked when some unrecoverableerror occurs.

Best regards,
Sergey

Hi Lee,

This is a statement from Igor:

Now that you told us that you have a very little free space available on your C: drive, I wonder if that is maybe contributing to your problems...

I absolutely agree with it. Good Luck!

do you still get the same error with the build environment?

if so, openthis file "compilervars_arch.bat"and remove the "$echo off" at the top, and open the build environment window again. The window should contain all the output, and please paste the output to a text file and attach to the post.

Jennifer

Jennifer,

No he does not. He can now build from ICL command prompt but not from Visual Studio.

Please read the whole thread again to see where we are at now. I also asked you a question.

I am now asking a second one -- why is icl.exe getting unexpanded $(VCInstallDir) in Qoptions,link from MSBuild?

Pages

Leave a Comment

Please sign in to add a comment. Not a member? Join today