(0): internal error: backend signals

Hi

I sometimes get the following

xilink: error #10014: problem during multi-file optimization compilation (code 4)
xilink: error #10014: problem during multi-file optimization compilation (code 4)

What does it mean? How can it be resolved?

Erling

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
For more complete information about compiler optimizations, see our Optimization Notice.

The latter xilink errors are a consequence of the earlier "internal error: backend signals", so those can be ignored.

The internal error is a generic message that is not specific to any particular issue. It indicates the compiler suffered an unexpected error during compilation. There are a variety of conditions that lead to this form of error.

The resolution requires installing a newer update that is known to contain a fix for the specific condition causing the error.

Determining the specific update that addresses each instance requires identifying the catalyst in each case. That starts with knowing the OS and specific compiler that was used, and perhaps obtaining a test case. In some situations a work-around may be available to avoid the error until a permanent fix is available.

If you are not using the latest 11.0 release and can upgrade, that may be something that you should try.

It could be that a certain combination of compiler options triggered the error. Offering details about the options that were used when the error occurs might offer clues to know if this is a known issue or not.
So, the questions to you are:

1. xilink suggests Windows, so what version of icl are you using?
2. Since this only happens sometimes, are there specific compiler options that you used when the error occurred?

If you are using the latest 11.0 Release with /Qipo /Qparallel, then you might have experienced the known issue discussed in the Knowledge Base articlehere.

I use the latest version 11 compiler. Downloaded very recently. I do not use /Qipo but /Qip and no /Qparallel. My complete link line is below. Some of libraries comes from an external source. I am not sure if that can cause problems.

[It seems this case is very consistent. I have seen the problem earlier but then rerunning the build would normally makes it go away.]

xilink /NODEFAULTLIB:libc /NODEFAULTLIB:libcmt /NODEFAULTLIB:libcmtd /NODEFAULTLIB:libmmt /NODEFAULTLIB:libc /NODEFAULTLIB:libcm
t /NODEFAULTLIB:libcmtd /NODEFAULTLIB:libmmt /NODEFAULTLIB:libguide /LARGEADDRESSAWARE /OUT:bldhjallesewin32x86develstdinte
lc-11.0.0binmampl.exe /MAP:bldhjallesewin32x86develstdintelc-11.0.0binmampl.map /LIBPATH:"x:windowsIntelCompiler11.
061cpplibia32" kernel32.lib user32.lib gdi32.lib comdlg32.lib comctl32.lib advapi32.lib wsock32.lib oldnames.lib netapi32.l
ib libmmt.lib libcmt.lib bldhjallesewin32x86develstdintelc-11.0.0binmampl-objsampl.obj externflexlmsrc11.4winlm_new
.obj externamplwinamplx.lib externflexlmsrc11.4winlmgr.lib externflexlmsrc11.4winlibcrvs.lib externflexlmsrc11.4
winlibsb.lib externflexlmsrc11.4winlibnoact.lib

scons: *** [bldhjallesewin32x86develstdintelc-11.0.0binmampl.exe] Error 4
scons: building terminated because of errors.

Quoting - Kevin Davis (Intel)

The latter xilink errors are a consequence of the earlier "internal error: backend signals", so those can be ignored.

The internal error is a generic message that is not specific to any particular issue. It indicates the compiler suffered an unexpected error during compilation. There are a variety of conditions that lead to this form of error.

The resolution requires installing a newer update that is known to contain a fix for the specific condition causing the error.

Determining the specific update that addresses each instance requires identifying the catalyst in each case. That starts with knowing the OS and specific compiler that was used, and perhaps obtaining a test case. In some situations a work-around may be available to avoid the error until a permanent fix is available.

If you are not using the latest 11.0 release and can upgrade, that may be something that you should try.

It could be that a certain combination of compiler options triggered the error. Offering details about the options that were used when the error occurs might offer clues to know if this is a known issue or not.
So, the questions to you are:

1. xilink suggests Windows, so what version of icl are you using?
2. Since this only happens sometimes, are there specific compiler options that you used when the error occurred?

If you are using the latest 11.0 Release with /Qipo /Qparallel, then you might have experienced the known issue discussed in the Knowledge Base article here.

I upgraded to 072 and it did not solve the problem.

Since the latest 11.0 update did not address this new instance then I advise submitting this to Intel Premier (https://premier.intel.com/). We will need to obtain a reproducing test case to investigate further. That may require obtaining the complete solution w/source given the point of failure is xilink. We appreciate you bringing this to our attention and apologize for the inconvenience.

I shall do that.

Leave a Comment

Please sign in to add a comment. Not a member? Join today