Random backend ICC signal errors, ICL internal error

Random backend ICC signal errors, ICL internal error

The Intel C++ compiler (10.0.025) has started aborting compilation of random large C files with the error message

(0): internal error: backend signals

If I rebuild the same project repeatedly, the compiler complains about different files and a different number of files each time.

If I build the same project repeatedly, the compiler eventually compiles all C files with no complaint, but then the linker gives the error

(0): internal error: 0_0

This happens with two large projects. It's all straight C code, so no templates are being used. All the functions in the files in question are for real-time video processing, so compiling without full optimization is not an option.

Andreas

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
For more complete information about compiler optimizations, see our Optimization Notice.

If "full optimization," including ipo, is so important, it may be worth while to use a recent compiler. Did you verify that you need ipo, if you are trying to use it? If you had such trouble with an up to date compiler, after checking your disk integrity and (if Windows) defragmenting, a problem report on premier.intel.com would be in order. As it could be due to lack of RAM, particularly if you are attempting parallel compile or have other applications open (even certain anti-virus or firewalls), you might specify your configuration if you file a report.

Tim,

Thanks for the information. I'm running Windows XP Professional under Parallels 3.0 under Mac OS X 10.5.2 on a MacBook Pro. The problem arose after upgrading from Parallels 2.5 under Mac OS X 10.4.6, so memory sounds like a likely culprit.

However, after increasing my RAM from 1.5 GB to 2 GB (the maximum this computer accepts), the problem with random back ICC signal errors during compilation persists.

In the linker, the error message has changed to "xilink: error error_during_IPO_compilation: problem during multi-file optimization compilation (code 4)".

How would I go about updating from Intel C++ 10.0.025 to 10.1?

Andreas

If your license is still in force, go to https://registrationcenter.intel.com The standard license gives you update support for 1 year.
You have the opportunity to register your license, if you didn't already do it. The site will show you which software products you have registered eligible for upgrades, with links to download the current versions. It does look like it could be important to upgrade icc, since you upgraded your Parallels.
I'm not familiar with whether the Mac supports parallel builds. If you have memory conflicts, due to complicated optimization requirements in your code, you might have to restrict your build from running in parallel, if it is doing so.

Thanks for the tips. I updated the Intel compiler and linker to the latest build (Intel C++ Compiler Integration for Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003, Version 10.1.689.2003), to no avail.
I knocked the optimization level down from 'Full Optimization (/Ox)' to 'Maximize Speed Plus High-Level Optimizations (/O3) [Intel C++]', to no avail.
I'm not sure what you mean by "parallel builds", but thisMacBook Pro has a 1.83 GHz Intel Core Duo, so I would assume that multi-threaded compilation is enabled. How would I go about disabling parallel builds?

andreas@bitjazz.com:How would I go about disabling parallel builds?

Try Tools->options->"Projects and Solutions"->"Build and Run" and enter '1' where it says "maximum number of parallel project builds". At least that seems to be how it works on 2005.

Dale

Then Parallel builds must be a new feature. There's only a "Projects" folder, no "Projects and Solutions", and it doesn't have a "Build and Run" panel or anything like it that mentions anything about parallel builds.

Once, during compilation, the Intel compiler gave the message "compilation aborted for .c (code -1073741819)".

On immediately building the project again, the same C file compiled without incident.

It smells like the compiler has a stray pointer that's randomly trashing memory.

This is weird. I assumed I had turned off interprocedural optimization by deleting the the /GL compiler option and the /LTCG linker option from the list of "Additional Options" for the compiler and linker, respectively. Yet when I rebuild either project, I still get the error message "xilink: error error_during_IPO_compilation: problem during multi-file optimization compilation (code 4)". I double-checked the command lines to make sure there's no /Qipo, /Qip, /ipo, /ip switch either. I've also tried turning off "Global Optimization" in the compiler, and reducing the optimization level to /O3 and even /O2, but still get the same linker error message. So how DO I turn off interprocedural optimization?

I should probably mention that the entire "Intel Specific: Whole Program Optimization (WPO)" section in the Linker Optimization panel is grayed out.

I've now seen the code -1073741819 error several times, each time accompanied by the following outside error report:

mcpcom.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

AppName: mcpcom.exe AppVer: 0.0.0.0 ModName: ntdll.dll

ModVer: 5.1.2600.114 Offset: 00032759

Also, the IDE occasionally crashes during compilation with the error message:

Microsoft Development Environment has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

An unhandled exception has been caught by the VSW exception filter.

AppName: devenv.exe AppVer: 7.10.3077.0 ModName: ntdll.dll

ModVer: 5.1.2600.114 Offset: 0003336f

and sometimes it even crashes the operating system with a blue screen, after which Windows XP issues the error message:

The system has recovered from a serious error.

BCCode : 1000008e BCP1 : C0000005 BCP2 : BF87DFB2 BCP3 : F41EBB94

BCP4 : 00000000 OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 0_0 Product : 768_1

1. the "IPO" is set under "C/C++". Make sure you don't have "/GL" or "/Qipo" specified

2.the default has some IPO features turned on. you can turn it off by adding "/Qnoipo" to linker.

3. if you haven't repored those issues (compiler and IDE) to Premier Support, could you please do so?

Without /GL in the compiler, without /LTCG and with /Qnoipo in the linker, the linker still tries to do multifile optimization, and I get the error message:

xilink: error error_during_IPO_compilation: problem during multi-file optimization compilation (code -1073741819)

This time, while compiling one of the large files, I got a new error message:

(0): internal error: 101004_20

Leave a Comment

Please sign in to add a comment. Not a member? Join today