stackavail() with Intel C under Windows ??

stackavail() with Intel C under Windows ??

Hi ,

I am porting and old project from Watcom C/C++ to Intel C.  I have a dangerous recursive function. With Watcom I checked the free stack to predict and statck overflow  using  stackavail()  .   

Please, how can I do that with Intel C, under Windows ?

Thanks to all.  

Armando

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
For more complete information about compiler optimizations, see our Optimization Notice.

check this: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315937. same method works for IntelC.

Jennifer

That will tell you after the error, it will not tell the program prior to error.

As Jim Dempsey said that will not avoid the stack overflow.  I liked  stackavail()  in Watcom ...

I am testing this code: 

#include "windows.h"

size_t stackavail(void)
{
   static unsigned StackPtr; // top of stack ptr
   __asm mov [StackPtr],esp // mov pointer to top of stack

static MEMORY_BASIC_INFORMATION mbi; // page range
  VirtualQuery((PVOID)StackPtr,&mbi,sizeof(mbi)); // get range
  return StackPtr-(unsigned)mbi.AllocationBase; // subtract from top (stack grows downward on win)
}

So far looks working.  

Armando's case could be a unique one. In case of very large data sets ( greater than 64MB ) processed by a recursive algorithms, like Merge Sort or Strassen's matrix multiplication, I simply set Stack Reserve and Commit values to 1073741824 ( 1GB ). It doesn't matter what verifications you have on a 32-bit platform it is impossible to allocate / use more than 2GB of memory ( unless AWE is used on a Windows 32-bit platform ).

>>...I have a dangerous recursive function...

What about some generic details on what it actually does?

Hi Serguey,  My project target is Win32. It is and old implementation of a recursive fill,  in memory for big bitmaps, with very complex borders.  I could be over concerned because default stack size for win32 is 1 MB.  In the past I got into some complex topologies that make the recursive fill stop before completion.  Using stackavail() the system never crashed, it simply stoped and emited a warning. I am trying to have the same safeguard with the Intel implementation.  The function stackavail()  that I posted looks like to be working  fine so far.

Thanks, Armando. My test-case for verification of a maximum number recusrive calls for a very simple function is as follows:
// Evaluation of Max Number of Recursive calls
// These numbers could be different on another computer!
// Windows XP - DEBUG= 4774 - RELEASE= 86172
// Windows XP with MinGW - DEBUG=130172 - RELEASE=130172
// Pocket PC 2003 - DEBUG= 817 - RELEASE= 1000
// Smartphone 2003 - DEBUG= 817 - RELEASE= 1000
// Windows Mobile 5 - DEBUG= 817 - RELEASE= 1000
// Windows XP with BCC - DEBUG= 64597 - RELEASE= 64597
// Compact OS ( 16-bit ) with TCC - DEBUG= 5898 - RELEASE= 5898
// before the test application crashes

void GetMaxNumOfRecursiveCalls( int iCount );

void GetMaxNumOfRecursiveCalls( int iCount )
{
if( iCount == -1 )
return;

printf( "%ld\n", ++iCount );

GetMaxNumOfRecursiveCalls( iCount );
}

int main( void )
{
GetMaxNumOfRecursiveCalls( 0 );
}

I'll verify how your function is working with different C++ compilers.

Sergey,  I am afraid it is not a portable solution...  It is system dependent (it works with win32 and hope with win64, not yet tested) and needs support for  inlined "__asm"  .    Let me know about your results and considerations.  Thanks

Leave a Comment

Please sign in to add a comment. Not a member? Join today