c++11 : function 'to_string' undefined

c++11 : function 'to_string' undefined

I'm playing around with some new features from c++11. One new thing is the 'to_string' method in <string>. I compile with icpc Version Beta with the option '-std=c++11'.

#include <iostream>
#include <string>
int main(void)
    int i = 345;
    std::cout << "The number i = " << std::to_string(i) << std::endl;
    return 0;

However I get back the error at compile time:

main.cpp(9): error: namespace "std" has no member "to_string"

I'm not very experienced with c++ so I'm probably doing something silly.

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
For more complete information about compiler optimizations, see our Optimization Notice.

Did you fill out the beta survey, in particular where they ask for priorities on implementation of C++11 features?

Your example works with current Microsoft CL but not with ICL in the same environment.

This seems like a case for a problem report.

On linux, the situation seems more complicated:

I have to omit -std=c++11 to see the error you reported.

If I keep an old enough g++ active (one which doesn't accept -std=c++11) under icpc I get:

jb.cpp(6): error: more than one instance of overloaded function "std::to_string" matches the argument list:
            function "std::to_string(long long)"
            function "std::to_string(unsigned long long)"
            function "std::to_string(long double)"
            argument types are: (int)

If I change path so as to make a current g++ active, your case runs fine with current released icpc Intel64 as well as on the most recent beta.

I don't expect icpc to fix problems which are caused by using a g++ which isn't recent enough to support your syntax, but you might ask whether icpc should warn you when you ask for -std=c++11 if your g++ is out of date.

Oh ok. My g++ version is apparently 4.3.4, which I don't think has the new standard.

I'm confused though. Does icpc link against the gcc libraries?

Yes, icc is using the gcc header files and libraries.

>>...I'm playing around with some new features from c++11. One new thing is the 'to_string' method in ...

I did a quick verification and if string header was implemented before 2010 than it is possible that to_string method was not implemented yet. So, you need to have a set of STL headers ( as a part of GCC installation ) released in 2010 or after.

Let me give you a small example related to support of to_string method in Visual Studios:

VS 2005 - Not supported
VS 2008 - Not supported
VS 2010 - Supported
VS 2012 - Supported

Just open string header file and search for to_string method. If your search is failed try to update a set of STL headers for GCC compiler.

Leave a Comment

Please sign in to add a comment. Not a member? Join today