ICC 17.0.4 + GCC 7 + glibc 2.26: error: identifier "_Float128" is undefined

ICC 17.0.4 + GCC 7 + glibc 2.26: error: identifier "_Float128" is undefined

I realize that ICC 17 is not meant to be used in combination with GCC 7 + glibc 2.26 since those are very recent releases and might be considered unsupported, but the following problem surfaced after the release of glibc 2.26:

#include <stdlib.h>

icc -D_GNU_SOURCE -o foo foo.c
In file included from foo.c(2):
/usr/include/stdlib.h(133): error: identifier "_Float128" is undefined
 extern _Float128 strtof128 (const char *__restrict __nptr,
        ^

/usr/include/stdlib.h(190): error: identifier "_Float128" is undefined
                       _Float128 __f)
                       ^

/usr/include/stdlib.h(236): error: identifier "_Float128" is undefined
 extern _Float128 strtof128_l (const char *__restrict __nptr,
        ^

compilation aborted for foo.c (code 2)

I believe this problem appears because of the following lines in floatn.h (included with glibc 2.26):

/* The type _Float128 exists only since GCC 7.0.  */
# if !__GNUC_PREREQ (7, 0) || defined __cplusplus
typedef __float128 _Float128;
# endif

Because ICC defines __GNUC__ and __GNUC__MINOR__ to the same versions which are defined by GCC itself this typedef is not visible when GCC 7 is used as a backend. I believe GCC 7+ supports _Float128 natively (https://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-7/changes.html) and ICC should probably do so too, hopefully in one of the next releases.

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
For more complete information about compiler optimizations, see our Optimization Notice.

Hi Bastian,

As you already know, ICC 17.0 doesn't support GCC 7.0; but ICC is compatible with supported GCC versions. If you provide us a test case, then we can test it for you when our next version (which suports GCC 7.0) becomes available.

Regards,

Viet Hoang

Hey Viet,

thanks for your answer. Indeed, ICC 17.0 does not support GCC 7, I mostly reported this issue as a heads up, in the hope that this report will help making sure that newer release won't have this problem.

Nevertheless I have been using the ICC 17 + GCC 7 combination successfully for quite a while now, so at least for the code I compile with ICC 17.0 the compatibility is already quite good. The problem I describe here only came about when glibc 2.26 surfaced. Specifically, they have added code to stdlib.h which assumes that any compiler which defines __GNUC__ >= 7 supports _Float128 which isn't the case for ICC 17.0.

The simple test case is trying to compile the singe line '#include <stdlib.h>' where stdlib.h is from glibc 2.26, using GCC 7 as backend.

Thanks again for your help

Bastian

Thanks for the heads up... We will fix this in the first update to 18.0.

Judy

The error still persists:

icc --version
icc (ICC) 18.0.0 20170811

In file included from /usr/include/math.h(312),
                 from /home/opt/intel/compilers_and_libraries_2018.0.128/linux/compiler/include/math.h(95),
                 from ./source/dss_sym_c.c(3):
/usr/include/bits/mathcalls-helper-functions.h(42): error: identifier "_Float128" is undefined
  __MATHDECL_1 (int, __issignaling,, (_Mdouble_ __value))
  ^

System: openSUSE Tumbleweed:

gcc --version
gcc (SUSE Linux) 7.2.1 20170901 [gcc-7-branch revision 251580]

Hey Fabian,

yes indeed the problem persists in 18.0. I think Judy meant that the problem would be fixed in the first _update_ to 18.0 (i.e. 18.0.1). Anyway, for the time being I'm working around the problem by adding "-D_Float128=__float128" to my compiler flags.

Cheers, Bastian

Bastian,

thank you for pointing this out! I'll try the flag, I was not aware of this workaround.

Quote:

Bastian B. wrote:

Hey Fabian,

yes indeed the problem persists in 18.0. I think Judy meant that the problem would be fixed in the first _update_ to 18.0 (i.e. 18.0.1). Anyway, for the time being I'm working around the problem by adding "-D_Float128=__float128" to my compiler flags.

Cheers, Bastian

I'm using openSUSE Tumbleweed with gcc7.2.1 & glibc 2.26, 

this complier flag solved my problem, thank you!

As a follow up note I'd like to mention that the problem has indeed been fixed in Intel Compiler 18 Update 1: It does not need the -D_Float128=__float128 anymore.

Hi,

Still have related problem here with libdc 2.27,  libc 2.26 works, Debian 10,  compiling

#define _GNU_SOURCE
#include <stdlib.h>
#include <math.h>

icc -v
icc version 18.0.2 (gcc version 7.0.0 compatibility)

icc  ~/1.c -c
In file included from /barbiere/jack/1.c(2):
/usr/include/stdlib.h(140): error: identifier "_Float32" is undefined
  extern _Float32 strtof32 (const char *__restrict __nptr,
         ^

/usr/include/stdlib.h(146): error: identifier "_Float64" is undefined
  extern _Float64 strtof64 (const char *__restrict __nptr,
         ^

/usr/include/stdlib.h(158): error: identifier "_Float32x" is undefined
  extern _Float32x strtof32x (const char *__restrict __nptr,
         ^

/usr/include/stdlib.h(164): error: identifier "_Float64x" is undefined
  extern _Float64x strtof64x (const char *__restrict __nptr,

This works:

icc   -D__PURE_INTEL_C99_HEADERS__ -D_Float32=float -D_Float64=double -D_Float128="long double" -D_Float32x=_Float64 -D_Float64x=_Float128 ~/1.c -c

GNU_SOURCE is defined to allow usage of "strict timespec" which is otherwise undefined, compilatiion of code that is trying to use timespec:

error: incomplete type is not allowed
  real_t diff_clock(struct timespec start, struct timespec end)

Thanks,

Yakov

Hey Yakov,

Yes, these new errors are specific to glibc 2.27. I have opened https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/intel-c-compiler/topic/777003 to track this.

Cheers

Bastian

Leave a Comment

Please sign in to add a comment. Not a member? Join today