Procblems using gcc with cilkplus binary

Procblems using gcc with cilkplus binary

I tried the binary from August 2013 from on my Ubuntu 13.4 x86 VM.
I extracted files to ~/cilkplus-4_8-install and gave execution permission to all files in /bin subfolder and executed

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=~/cilkplus-4_8-install/lib:~/cilkplus-4_8-install/lib64:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
export LIBRARY_PATH=~/cilkplus-4_8-install/lib:~/cilkplus-4_8-install/lib64:$LIBRARY_PATH

but not even

~/cilkplus-4_8-install/bin/gcc --version
~/cilkplus-4_8-install/bin/g++ --version

g++ simply does nothing, for gcc I get the error message "cannot execute binary file". whats wrong here?

thank you

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
For more complete information about compiler optimizations, see our Optimization Notice.

x64 or x86_64 VM?  By any chance, are you using the 64-bit version on a 32-bit OS?

It states on the download page, "These compilers are provided as a convenience. They are not guaranteed to be up-to-date or error-free."    If they do not work, you might also try building from source... :)

Its x86 only, so 32bit. There is only one \bin directory, even though this build is supposed to be for x86 and x86_64. (no \bin64 folder or gcc64 file)

I'm actually already trying to compile from source.
Some packets cannot be found, which complicates the process:  isl, autoconf (version 2.64, hopefully 2.69 works), gmp, mpfr.

I keep working on that, but I was hoping for a solutions which shortens the process....

using file command I found out, that it actually IS a x64 binary. So the describtion is probably missleading, saying "These compilers are for the x86-32 and x86-64 architectures.  They were built and tested on SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 11 SP1." - meaning the target platform for compiled code, not the environment the compiler runs in?!

Thank you for pointing this out.  I've updated the entry on the website to specify that the compilers were built for the x86-64 architecture.

I apologize for the confusion.

- Barry

Now using a x64 Ubuntu 13.10.

g++ is an empty file! (0Bit) - so its obvious that it cannot work.

gcc may work, only got c++ code to test here right now. using it with a cpp file results in error:

" format not recognized, treating as a linker script"

This error is now produced by the gcc delivered with ubuntu as well...

EDIT: After fixing some broken symlinks in directory of cilkplus, I now get

ld: /tmp/RANDOM_NAME.o: undefined reference to symbol '_ZSt17__throw_bad_allocv@@GLIBCXX_3.4'
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/ error adding symbols: DSO missing from command line

where RANDOM_NAME changes with every compilation

compilation with build-in g++ is now working again, build-in gcc throw a lot of error. I assume in the build-in gcc is for C and g++ for c++, whereas the cilk-gcc can handle both, c and c++?!

Leave a Comment

Please sign in to add a comment. Not a member? Join today