How to make custom firmware and update via Intel Firmware Engine?(Minnowboard)

How to make custom firmware and update via Intel Firmware Engine?(Minnowboard)

Hi,
I try to make a custom firmware by Intel Firmware Engine.
First, I built .efi and .cap files by following this Intel video tutorial.
copy files to my USB drive and reboot

type in : CapsuleApp.efi FVMAIN.Cap

the system reboot, but show these message:
Updating the firmware......em memory tested OK
Capsule Request Cold Reboot.
Resetting system in 2 seconds...

"cold reboot" means unplug the power and plug in?

I tried, but it show the same message.

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
For more complete information about compiler optimizations, see our Optimization Notice.

The capsule update will only update firmware initially built with Intel Firmware Engine, so you need to use the SPI programmer to do the initial programming. The capsule generated by Intel Firmware Engine will not program over the default firmware built from the open source project.

Hi, Brian

Thanks for your reply, 

I not really understand what you say about "The capsule update will only update firmware initially built with Intel Firmware Engine" and "The capsule update will only update firmware initially built with Intel Firmware Engine". Could you provide more detail?

According to this video tutorial : How to Update Firmware Using Capsule. Doesn't it means that I can update firmware via USB drive?

Another question, I tried to type : MinnowBoard.MAX.FirmwareUpdateX64.efi MyProject.fd (.efi file from the bottom of MinnowBoard Max/Turbot - UEFI Firmware, .fd file from Intel Firmware Engine Built) and the board show update firmware successfully, but..it can't find my SATA device after updating..so I can't load to my Windows.

Then, I tried to update firmware Images to original firmware version, which is provide from Intel(MinnowBoard Max/Turbot 0.99 Firmware Images from here), but it show these message : 
Updating Firmware, This may take a few minutes.
U
pdate failed. Please make sure the flash is not write protected.
(I update firmware successfully last week)

So..What happened?

Thanks

 

Hi,

It appears you successfully updated the Minnowboard Max with the .fd image built from Intel® Firmware Engine using the MinnowBoard.MAX.FirmwareUpdateX64.efi utility.  You should now be able to use the capsule update method for updating.

However, first you will want to add the “SATA HardDisk Drive” and attach to the “SATA Connector”  See attached .jgp  on the same Intel Firmware Engine project.

Then enable the capsule update:

  1. open the existing project - this is the same project that is flashed into your Minnowboard Max

  2. Click on the project button then click on properties

  3. Select Settings

  4. Click on "Enable Firwmare Update File Generation"

  5. Make sure "Authentication Disable" is selected in the pull down menu

  6. Click on "Enable Recovery File Generation" then "OK"

  7. build

  8. Copy the .CAP files and CasuleApp.efi to a USB thumb drive like in the video.

  9. On the target shell,  use the CapsuleApp.efi with the FVMAIN.Cap

 

A couple of other notes: once you update with the Intel Firmware Engine Image .fd file from a Intel Firmware Engine project you cannot go back to the binary images from https://firmware.intel.com.  This requires a tool like a Dediprog. https://www.dediprog.com/

Quote:

LAURIE J. (Intel) wrote:

Hi,

It appears you successfully updated the Minnowboard Max with the .fd image built from Intel® Firmware Engine using the MinnowBoard.MAX.FirmwareUpdateX64.efi utility.  You should now be able to use the capsule update method for updating.

However, first you will want to add the “SATA HardDisk Drive” and attach to the “SATA Connector”  See attached .jgp  on the same Intel Firmware Engine project.

Then enable the capsule update:

  1. open the existing project - this is the same project that is flashed into your Minnowboard Max

  2. Click on the project button then click on properties

  3. Select Settings

  4. Click on "Enable Firwmare Update File Generation"

  5. Make sure "Authentication Disable" is selected in the pull down menu

  6. Click on "Enable Recovery File Generation" then "OK"

  7. build

  8. Copy the .CAP files and CasuleApp.efi to a USB thumb drive like in the video.

  9. On the target shell,  use the CapsuleApp.efi with the FVMAIN.Cap

 

A couple of other notes: once you update with the Intel Firmware Engine Image .fd file from a Intel Firmware Engine project you cannot go back to the binary images from https://firmware.intel.com.  This requires a tool like a Dediprog. https://www.dediprog.com/

Hi, 

Thanks for your reply. I will try it, but I have a serious problem now. In my previous post , it show the message :
"Update failed. Please make sure the flash is not write protected" after updating the Minnowboard with the .fd image even I type MinnowBoard.MAX.FirmwareUpdateX64.efi MyProject.fd again.  How to solve it?
(I'm not sure "the flash" means my USB device or the flash in the board, I have exchanged other USB devices, but the same)

I tried to type "CapsuleApp.efi FVMAIN.Cap", it shows Updating the firmware......em memory tested OK Capsule Request Cold Reboot. like my first post...

I can't do anything now...

Hi,

I am sorry you are having problems updating the firmware on your MinnowBoard Max. Unfortunately, once the firmware (BIOS) on the SPI flash device on the MinnowBoard Max has been updated with the .fd image file from the Intel Firmware Engine, the only way that it can be updated is with a UEFI application CapsuleApp.efi from Intel Firmware Engine.  The UEFI application MinnowBoard.MAX.FirmwareUpdateX64.efi can no longer be used since the application will not recognize the existing firmware (BIOS) in the SPI flash device in the MinnowBoard Max. 

The message you are seeing "Update failed. Please make sure the flash is not write protected"  is because the firmware (BIOS) on your MinnowBoard MAX now has the Intel Firmware Engine image in the SPI flash.  I am sorry but there is no way to get back to the previous or original firmware (BIOS) without a SPI update method such as the Dediprog tool.

The work a round is to use the UEFI application CasuleApp.efi but it must be from the SAME project otherwise the CapsuleApp.efi will not update the firmware(BIOS) either.  Make sure to open the same project as was used with the first .fd file image built that you then updated using the UEFI application MinnowBoard.MAX.FirmwareUpdateX64.efi.  The Intel Firmware Engine can be used with the SAME project to make other changes to the firmware (BIOS) and then the CapsuleApp.efi can be using with the resulting .CAP files.

 

 

 

Quote:

LAURIE J. (Intel) wrote:

Hi,

I am sorry you are having problems updating the firmware on your MinnowBoard Max. Unfortunately, once the firmware (BIOS) on the SPI flash device on the MinnowBoard Max has been updated with the .fd image file from the Intel Firmware Engine, the only way that it can be updated is with a UEFI application CapsuleApp.efi from Intel Firmware Engine.  The UEFI application MinnowBoard.MAX.FirmwareUpdateX64.efi can no longer be used since the application will not recognize the existing firmware (BIOS) in the SPI flash device in the MinnowBoard Max. 

The message you are seeing "Update failed. Please make sure the flash is not write protected"  is because the firmware (BIOS) on your MinnowBoard MAX now has the Intel Firmware Engine image in the SPI flash.  I am sorry but there is no way to get back to the previous or original firmware (BIOS) without a SPI update method such as the Dediprog tool.

The work a round is to use the UEFI application CasuleApp.efi but it must be from the SAME project otherwise the CapsuleApp.efi will not update the firmware(BIOS) either.  Make sure to open the same project as was used with the first .fd file image built that you then updated using the UEFI application MinnowBoard.MAX.FirmwareUpdateX64.efi.  The Intel Firmware Engine can be used with the SAME project to make other changes to the firmware (BIOS) and then the CapsuleApp.efi can be using with the resulting .CAP files.

 

Thanks for your reply.

I want to make sure something..
1. I have to build the .CAP from my first project which build the .fd file.
2. I can update firmware via CasuleApp.efi and .CAP which are built from the same project.
3. I need to use Dediprog tool if I would like to update via MinnowBoard.MAX.FirmwareUpdateX64.efi and .bin.

Thanks

oh...Unfortunately, the project which built the .fd have been deleted..

 

Best Reply

Hi Liao WeiCheng,

For all 3 points, your assumption is correct:

1. I have to build the .CAP from my first project which build the .fd file. [Laurie J']  Yes, That is correct. The capsule update only works on your original project from the Intel Firmware Engine.

2. I can update firmware via CasuleApp.efi and .CAP which are built from the same project. [Laurie J']  Yes, this way of updating with Intel Firmware Engine has been verified to work.

3. I need to use Dediprog tool if I would like to update via MinnowBoard.MAX.FirmwareUpdateX64.efi and .bin. [Laurie J']  Yes, after updating the firmware (BIOS) flash with the Intel Firmware Engine .fd image the only way to get the original firmware is with a SPI update tool such as the Dediprog.

I understand you no longer have the first project from your Intel Firmware Engine project.  So that means only number 3 is possible. This is also why the capsule update method did not work in your case.

If you would like to send your Minnowboard Max to get updated with the latest firmware (BIOS) from https://firmware.intel.com/projects/minnowboard-max please let me know.

Thanks,

Laurie

 

 

 

 

Quote:

LAURIE J. (Intel) wrote:

Hi Liao WeiCheng,

For all 3 points, your assumption is correct:

1. I have to build the .CAP from my first project which build the .fd file. [Laurie J']  Yes, That is correct. The capsule update only works on your original project from the Intel Firmware Engine.

2. I can update firmware via CasuleApp.efi and .CAP which are built from the same project. [Laurie J']  Yes, this way of updating with Intel Firmware Engine has been verified to work.

3. I need to use Dediprog tool if I would like to update via MinnowBoard.MAX.FirmwareUpdateX64.efi and .bin. [Laurie J']  Yes, after updating the firmware (BIOS) flash with the Intel Firmware Engine .fd image the only way to get the original firmware is with a SPI update tool such as the Dediprog.

I understand you no longer have the first project from your Intel Firmware Engine project.  So that means only number 3 is possible. This is also why the capsule update method did not work in your case.

If you would like to send your Minnowboard Max to get updated with the latest firmware (BIOS) from https://firmware.intel.com/projects/minnowboard-max please let me know.

Thanks,

Laurie

 

 

 

 

 

Hi, Laurie

I have a good news. Our firmware team have a tool like Dediprog and we have solved the situation.

Thanks for your help!

Hi sirs please how can i extract the bios firmware from the .bio file - removing the main bios .. thankyou

Leave a Comment

Please sign in to add a comment. Not a member? Join today