linux fortran with OpenMP

linux fortran with OpenMP

I have some very basic and precise questions:
1) What programs must I have to run the INTEL IFC with open MP directives (parallelization) in Linux, and what Redhat versions (without tweaking and fiddling) will work? Will Redhat 8 work, what about 9 , and 7.3??Please specify the exact programs to use.

2) I have toyed with MPI, and will be building a cluster of 8 dual Xeons (headnode 2.8 GHz,7slaves 2.4 GHz with an extra single CPU Raid file server). One the other hand , openMP is sharing memory. Can the cluster system be configured (e.g. NPACI Rocks) to share "threads" with other processes not on the same motherboard;with HT technology, the maximum number of threads will be 4 , i.e. each physical computer will have 2 processors, and assuming 2 threads per processor, that gives 4. Can the threading be extended to other nodes, as with MPI??
3) Does openMP working with the specified software means that the computations must be confined to the motherboard, where memory is shared and held in common with the other processor.

Thank you. Please help. Chris Jesudason.

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
For more complete information about compiler optimizations, see our Optimization Notice.

Part of the answer is in the documents which come with ifc. red hat 7.3 is supported and tested, whilered hat 8.0 has worked OK for many people. About red hat 9, I think you didn't read the earlier posts here. It can be made to work with MPI, but not likely OpenMP.

I doubt that extending OpenMP parallelism will be practical beyond the pairs of CPU's on a single node. Depending on your application, and installed RAM, with Hyper-Threading, you may be able to get an advantage by using the 4 logical processors on each node to support OpenMP, so that your cluster could support 8 4-threaded nodes.

Gigabit Ethernet is probably the fastest practical inter-node interconnect for your size of cluster, and there's no way it could simulate the shared memory performance expected of OpenMP.

Leave a Comment

Please sign in to add a comment. Not a member? Join today