ifc with SuSE 8.2 64bits

ifc with SuSE 8.2 64bits

I have installed ifc7.1.034 on adual Opteron system with SuSE 8.2 64 bits.
Everything works fine during the compilation but I have got an error from the linker.
It says:

ld: skipping incompatible ../SRC_lib/liblapack_lapw.a when searching for -llapack_lapw
ld: cannot find -llapack_lapw

I don't understand why it is incompatible because the library was build just before to compile the main program with the same compiler flags.
I have compiled many times this programs on various platforms andI never had thiskind of problems.
Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
For more complete information about compiler optimizations, see our Optimization Notice.

I am having the same problem. I have an AMD64 processor and when I had Mandrake Linux 32 bit installed the Intel Fortran Compiler worked just fine.

I recently upgraded to Mandrake 9.2 for AMD64 and now I get the error:
/usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /opt/intel_fc_80/lib/libifport.a when searching for -lifport
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lifport
while compiling a simple test program.

Did you manage to solve the problem? Anybody have any ideas?

I found the solution on the suse-amd mailing list:

This is a simple one - ifc will call upon the standard linker on the
which (naturally) defaults to making 64-bit binaries.

Tell it to make 32bit binaries with "-Wl,-m elf_i386"
and .. hey presto - it works.

Perhaps needless to say, this same option is invoked by g77 -m32 on red hat EL3 x86-64. Adding the option when using the Intel 32-bit compilers does the job, as Doug reported.

When I have both 32-bit and 64-bit lam-mpi builds installed, in order to support both kinds of binaries, I find that I must alter the PATH environment so that the desired one comes first while running. Run lamhalt before switching the path, and at the end of a session. Only one style can be running at a time, but it still beats booting into another OS.

This works also on SuSE 9.0 x86-64.

Don't forget that major linux distros comein a variety of 64-bit architectures, 2 of them supported by Intel. It's often near impossible to guess which one is meant.

Leave a Comment

Please sign in to add a comment. Not a member? Join today