Intel fortran compiler and Eclipse IDE?

Intel fortran compiler and Eclipse IDE?

Does somebody know, when will the Intel fortran compiler for linux be ready to plug into the Eclipse IDE?

Thanks,

Miguel

16 posts / 0 new
Last post
For more complete information about compiler optimizations, see our Optimization Notice.

No current plans - there is no real work being done on a Fortran side to Eclipse at this time. Even the C support should be considered "a work in progress". Note that the "CDT" (C Development Tool) of Eclipse is a collective effort - Intel provided the glue that makes it work with our compiler.

Is this something you are really interested in?

Retired 12/31/2016

>> No current plans - there is no real work being done <<

Oh, I once found a powerpoint presentation of intel saying that they were working on getting Eclipse working with their C and Fortran compilers by 2005, so I was looking forward to that :-(

>> Is this something you are really interested in? <<

Definitely! I have been working a lot with the Compaq Visual Fortran and I love it. There were a lot of advantages of having an IDE, like for example the perfect interaction with the debugger, the logical tree for the source files, the convenience of compiling with a mouse click, the color highlighting, the color highlighting print option, etc. And everything in one single environment.

I migrated my desktop to linux 2 years ago and I still have not found an equivalent solution. Yes, I use make for compiling, Understand for Fortran for code writing and graphing, latex for syntax highlighted print-outs and the famous "write debugger" for finding bugs, but before it was much better, much faster and much comfortable.

I know some people not switching because of the lack of an IDE for Fortran 95, so they stick with the Compaq Visual Fortran, even if the software line is "dead". We work on a large numerical code written in Fortran 95 and we pay a lot of attention to good programming techniques. Also to have the possibility of an IDE with some kind of revision control would be great. We are waiting for Codeforge to switch to a single window architecture (they are planning it) to buy it, but since I found the powerpoint presetation I mention above I was waiting for intel and looking forward to Eclipse. Hope somebody else also shows an interest in an IDE for Fortran 95 in linux...

Thanks for the information and best regards,

Miguel

Is this something you are really interested in?

Most definitely! In fact, the lack of an IDE for Fortran that will run on Linux may cause us to migrate to another compiler. We are enthusiastically waiting for Eclipse support for Intel Fortran.

Thanks for your comments. There are already several popular IDEs on Linux - do you need one to be supplied by the compiler vendor? What other Linux Fortran compilers provide their own IDE?

The Eclipse community is trying to get the C Development Tool (CDT)off the ground - it is still very much a work-in-progress. Intel has been working on enhancements that allow the Intel C++ compiler to work well within the context of the CDT. As there is no Fortran Development Tool being worked on in the Eclipse community, as far as I know, Intel Fortran support of Eclipse would be further out.

Retired 12/31/2016

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your reply. Support for Eclipse (actually just CDT if I understand you correctly) in ICC 8.1 triggered wishful thinking in regards to Fortran. Since both languages are similar (from a compiler-builders point of view) I thought a plug-in for both languages was a possibility. Thanks for clear things up for me.

I did't expect a compiler vendor to supply a full-blown IDE. In fact, I wouldn't have expected Eclipse to be bundled in ICC 8.1 at all, but rather a plug-in on the Eclipse site that provides support for "icc", "icpc" and "idb" (and "ifort")

Cheers,
Irv.

The way we package Eclipse in icc is this. The compiler install adds the Intel "added value" components for Eclipse, which you can use with your own copy of Eclipse and JRE if you want. A separate install item provides a tested version of Eclipse and JRE that are known to work with our plug-ins. So, the Eclipse isn't "our version of Eclipse", but rather than make you go find the pieces elsewhere, we provide tested versions in the package.

I've been told that a university team is considering developing a FDT (Fortran Development Tool) for Eclipse. If that happens, we'll be glad to take a look at it.

Retired 12/31/2016

Just wanted to give my full support to any work/effort to produce an IDE/plugin for Eclipse (or perhaps NetBeans) for the Intel Fortran compiler. At present, I write code on Windows and compile and run on Mandrake (Linux).

So any development in this area (especiallyforEclipse)would be very much welcomed!

Salman

>>There are already several popular IDEs on Linux - do you need one to be supplied by the compiler vendor?<<

Yes, you have Kdevelop, Eclipse, Netbeans, Anjuta, etc, but no one of them supports Fortran95 and most of them don't even support Fortran77. Then you have vim and xemacs, which support Fortran95, but they are not what I have in mind when I think on an IDE like Eclipse of Compaq Visual Fortran. Finally, as I said before, the best option I have found, for the moment, is Codeforge, altough their implementation with tons of windows is not great.

So at the end we are still without a decent IDE for Fortran95 development under linux :-(.

It will welcome if Intel provides fortran-plugins for Eclipse IDE or other open-source IDE.

In our team, we start using kdevelop with intel fortran.
We use import simple makefile (fortran).

We recompile kdevelop sources to support "error filters" with intel fortran compiler. I post the lines to the wish-list of the kdevelop website :

http://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=92566

Mickael Gastineau

I believe that there is already an integrated enviroment for fortran based on eclipse...please check at address below...

http://www.eclipse.org/photran/

Intel Fortran 9.1 is supported in the Eclpise Photran ide. See my post here, http://softwarecommunity.intel.com/isn/Community/en-US/forums/post/30221434.aspxfrom last year about this same time. The integration provides basic support for managed build and standard make project types. There are property pages and error parser support, and managed project types for building executables, shared libraries, and archive libraries. The integration currently supports ia32 and ia64 linux platforms.

Hope this helps. Thanks for your interest in our products.

Bill Hilliard

Intel Corporation

Quoting - bill_hilliard

Intel Fortran 9.1 is supported in the Eclpise Photran ide. See my post here, http://softwarecommunity.intel.com/isn/Community/en-US/forums/post/30221434.aspx from last year about this same time. The integration provides basic support for managed build and standard make project types. There are property pages and error parser support, and managed project types for building executables, shared libraries, and archive libraries. The integration currently supports ia32 and ia64 linux platforms.

Hope this helps. Thanks for your interest in our products.

Bill Hilliard

Intel Corporation

Bill & All,
thanks very much for all your posts. But I would like to continue this topic, since as far as I can see - not all of the issues to use the Intel Fortran Compiler with the Eclipse IDE in conjunction with a Photran plug-in have been resolved.

I am using a Mac OS X and have Eclipse 3.5.1 as well as Photran 5.0.0 installed. Also, I have bought the Intel Fortran Compiler for Mac OS X ("Intel Software Development Suite 11.1") and installed it on my machine.

Bill, unfortunately the link you provide above is dead, so the closest instructions I found for integrating Intel compilers in Eclipse are these:

Using the Intel Compilers, 8.0 with the Eclipse Platform ...

Since I am using a MAC OS and the instructions in the link provided above are for Linux, I am not sure how helpful this document will actually be...

Any help on this issue with a quick response is greatly appreciated.

Best Regards,
Andreas

Hello Andreas,

The current Intel strategy is to provide Eclipse support on Linux only. We do not support our compilers in Eclipse on MAC or Windows. There have been some requests for providing Eclipse support on non-Linux platforms, but no action is currently envisioned to develop that support.

Hope that helps,

Bill

Quoting - bill_hilliard

Hello Andreas,

The current Intel strategy is to provide Eclipse support on Linux only. We do not support our compilers in Eclipse on MAC or Windows. There have been some requests for providing Eclipse support on non-Linux platforms, but no action is currently envisioned to develop that support.

Hope that helps,

Bill

Well, that doesn't solve my problem of course. But Mac OS X and Linux are very similar aren't they?

Do you have an updated version of the link available that you posted in your reply onJuly 27, 2007 9:59 AM PDT?

Thanks!
Andreas

No, Mac OS and Linux are not similar. They don't have any common ancestry.

Well, they're similar in one regard - they both tend to introduce incompatibilities with each new release. Or, in the case of Linux, across the hundreds of distributions, all different.

Retired 12/31/2016

Leave a Comment

Please sign in to add a comment. Not a member? Join today