********Address Error IFC 7.1 - Urgent Please Help

********Address Error IFC 7.1 - Urgent Please Help

Hi,
I am running a huge fortran application that simulates a wave model called swan. It has a series of steps through which the programs reads i/o files. However it always fails at the 38th step(while reading the 38th file) and gives me an "address error", when I ran the program throgh GDB it showed that it fails at the point where there is a "close(file unit)", I am unable to figure out whats wrong, the file unit number is fine and there are no arrays being overstepped at any point. Any help would be greadtly appreciated, I have been struggling with this error for sometime now,

Thanks,
M.

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
For more complete information about compiler optimizations, see our Optimization Notice.

The only general advice I can give you is to rebuild with a current 8.1 compiler and see if the problem persists. Since the underlying library is entirely different, it probably won't.

Otherwise, some sort of data corruption would be a top suspect. One thing I usually try in this regard is to make test versions that eliminate various parts of the code and see how small I can make it and have the problem remain. If the problem goes away when I remove some code, I look closer at what that code does.

Retired 12/31/2016

Hi,
I am trying to shorten the code to get to the error point, This si kind of hard since the point of error has too many loops. I am trying t work on that. I had another question. WIll upgrading to Intel compiler 8.1 help?, since the error occurs always at a fixed point in the execution wouldnt it be random if it was due to the compiler? Any thoughts on this,

Thanks,
Madhu.

If the 7.1 compiler was generating bad code, then I'd expect the error to be consistent. Since we don't KNOW that it's a compiler problem, there is no guarantee that updating will help. But my general advice is to update, as 8.1 is a much better compiler overall.

Retired 12/31/2016

Leave a Comment

Please sign in to add a comment. Not a member? Join today