An IDE for Inter Fortran compiler

An IDE for Inter Fortran compiler

Hi
i am a new commer in fortran programming on linux.
i developed some numerical models on windows using Compaq Visual Fortran.
to start on linux i have downloaded the Intel Non-commercial Fortran compiler for Linux.
i will appreciate if anybody introduce an IDE for it on Linux. on Windows, the visual studio is very robust especially for debugging and viewing the arrays during the debug. is there any IDE on Linux like that?
Thanks in advanve,
Hadian

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
For more complete information about compiler optimizations, see our Optimization Notice.

The up-and-coming IDE for Linux is Eclipse. Intel supports Eclipse for Intel C++ (on IA-32), but the Eclipse community is just getting started on providing Fortran support inside Eclipse. One effort is called Photran. We are watching this closely. Photran claims to support Intel Fortran now, so give it a try and tell us what you think.

Retired 12/31/2016

Hi Hadian,

Do you view arrays during debug using "View Array" (which uses Array Visualizer to display graphical and numeric views of the data), or just with the IDE watch window?

If the former, is having something like "View Array" in an Eclipse IDE important to you?

John

Thanks for your replies.
I need the IDE for 3 purposes.
1. to write the subroutines and manage them easily.
2. compile and link in a straightforward manner. much better if it can be like visual studio in windows.
3. viewing arrays during debug. i use many arrays in my numerical project and need to view them during debug to fink the bugs.

i will try to install eclipse and see if i can work with it.

Hadian

Hi
sorry that i come up my old post, but the problem still exist.
though photran supports ifor, but there are many bugs in it that is not solved after long times. especially when you have module in your code you will have many problems. for instance:
1- you can not see the variables declared in module (probable because gdb does not support it).
2- when you put the source codes in a folder it can not make the makefile properly.
3- it is case-sensetive with module name while fortran is not.
i posted these problems in photran mail list.after a long time i was informed that people who wrote the code are not accessible to remove the bugs!!!!
recently, i downloaded Sun Studio express edition 11. Its IDE is acceptable though it has problem with module but once can solve the problem by compiling the module file manually. i tried to use it with ifort, but i could not.
i would like to know if there is an attempt in Intel to produce an IDE for its nice cimpilers on Linux? Or any attemt to integrate the intel compilers with an existing fortran IDE like photran, sun studio or kdevelop? or with other IDE's like CodeBlock?

Intel provides a basic Intel Fortran compiler integration with Photran for the convenience of our users. Currently, our Photran related activities are limited to maintaining that integration. We are not, at this time, investing resources beyond that component of Photran. Note also that neither do we have any current plans to invest in any of the other ide technologies that you mentioned.

We do greatly appreciate your input in this matter though, as such input factors into future planning efforts. You may want to consider making a formal request for these improvements by contacting Intel customer support if you have an Intel support contract.

Note also, Photran is an open source project. If, by chance, you have the appropriate time, skills, interest, etc., you might consider contributing to the Photran open source project directly yourself to address some of the issues that you raised.

Thanks again for making us aware of your concerns. We appreciate your input.

Bill Hilliard

Hadian,

Have you considered doing the early part of development on Windows then port to Linux after you finish the majority of the debugging?

Jim

In my view, Intel Fortran for Linux would be more valuable if the Photran integration was more complete. I am currently a user of the free non-commercial version of ifort for x86-64 but will most likely (have to) become a paying customer when starting a job in the Fall.

The Photran project is great, despite the small number of developers. But there are clearly some deficiencies. Those mentioned by the OP, other things that come to my mind are

1.) Getting automake and friends to work wasn't completely straightforward the first time I did it;
2.) If you got them to work, the GUI seems to be geared towards legacy Intel Fortran version (8.0?) and you might have to deal with things such as deprecated options, etc.

More support to the project directly from Intel would certainly help.

Thanks for your consideration,

J. Goeschel

bill_hilliard:

Intel provides a basic Intel Fortran compiler integration with Photran for the convenience of our users. Currently, our Photran related activities are limited to maintaining that integration. We are not, at this time, investing resources beyond that component of Photran. Note also that neither do we have any current plans to invest in any of the other ide technologies that you mentioned.

Bill Hilliard

Hi, so where exactly is this fabled ifort/photran integration located? I've been looking for some hours now.

In Photran 4.0b3 (CDT 4.0.3) I don't get any toolchain when setting up a Fortran project of type "Executable (Intel Fortran)"

I've solved the similar problem for icc (C/C++) by setting up an Extension Location loaded from /opt/intel/cc/10.1.015/eclipse_support/cdt4.0

There is no /opt/intel/fc/10.1.015/eclipse_support, that's where the ifort integration should be shouldn't it. Google didn't turn up anything useful, so I ended up here.

Intel Fortran does not provide any Eclipse-related bits. Everything you need should come from Photran. I have not used Photran myself so can't offer details.

Retired 12/31/2016
MADsblionel:Intel Fortran does not provide any Eclipse-related bits. Everything you need should come from Photran. I have not used Photran myself so can't offer details.

Your statement directly contradicts Bill Hiliard's (above). Does he speak for Intel or not?

There is no contradiction, though I understand why you might think there is. The Photran package includes an Intel UI "plugin". The Intel Fortran product does not include any Eclipse/Photran bits.

I'll ask Bill to elaborate, as he's far more familiar with Eclipse than I am.

Retired 12/31/2016

Sorry for the confusion here. The Intel Fortran integration for Photran is part of Photran. We donated the integration code to the Eclipse Photran project. When you download and install Photran, you get the Intel integration with it. No additoinal steps are required.

I looked into the issue of no toolchain to select for an Intel executable project. There actually is a toolchain. You should use the "GCC Toolchain". If you select that toolchain and complete the project creation, you can open the property pages "Settings" page, and you will see the Intel Fortran compiler along with gcc, etc. tools in the toolchain. I will look into the toolchain name. The Intel integration was recently overhauled to be compatible with cdt4.0.x. I thought the toolchain names were changed but I guess that didn't happen.

Hope this helps...Bill

How can I find an update on the status of Eclipse integration with Intel fortran? We're pretty happy with Intel Fortran, but we really need an IDE. We have been unable to get Photran working well. Perhaps we are neophytes, or perhaps it is just not working very well.

1. What is the current position of Intel vis a vis Eclipse integration - is it still "good luck with Photran"?

2. Is there any way we can pay Intel to do some work to allow Photran to work better?

3. Other suggestions?

Thanks.

P

Quoting - mhadian
Hi
i am a new commer in fortran programming on linux.
i developed some numerical models on windows using Compaq Visual Fortran.
to start on linux i have downloaded the Intel Non-commercial Fortran compiler for Linux.
i will appreciate if anybody introduce an IDE for it on Linux. on Windows, the visual studio is very robust especially for debugging and viewing the arrays during the debug. is there any IDE on Linux like that?
Thanks in advanve,
Hadian

Has anyone tried to integrate Ifort into Emacs?

Leave a Comment

Please sign in to add a comment. Not a member? Join today