Will the Intel Fortran Compiler 8.1 for Linux work in Knoppix-3.8.2 Linux?

Will the Intel Fortran Compiler 8.1 for Linux work in Knoppix-3.8.2 Linux?

Someone installed Knoppix 3.8.2 Linux for me onto my computer's hard drive in a dual boot arrangement with Windows XP Home Edition. Will the Intel Fortran Compiler 8.1 for Linux work in Knoppix-3.8.2 Linux? Thanks in advance for your reply.

Pat

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
For more complete information about compiler optimizations, see our Optimization Notice.

As you have seen from questions in this forum, it is never possible to guess with accuracy. Chances are, if the gcc and glibc versions are in the same range as supported distros, ifort should work for simple cases. Nothing stops you from trying it.

Fortunately my nephew-in-law Greg has had experience in Linux and is a kind, patient, and helpful fellow! He noted that the Intel Fortran Compiler 8.1 for Linux uses RPM in its installation, the "R" of which he knows stands for RedHat Linux. He knows that Knoppix 3.8.2 is associated with or based on Debian, not RedHat Linux. So he thinks it would be very difficult to get the Intel Fortran Compiler 8.1 for Linux to work in Knoppix 3.8.2, requiring 1) converting the installation from an RPM-based to a Debian one, which might 2) also require modifying the Compiler-installation script file which currently is likely to be set to use the RPM Intel file. As a result, we abandoned trying the Fortran Compiler in Knoppix 3.8.2. Instead he helped me in installing Fedora, Core-3 Linux in an unused partition on my computer's hard drive. From Greg I understood that Fedora, Core-3 Linux is a descendant of or successor to RedHat 9 Linux. Given that the Web site for the Compiler listed RedHat 9 Linux as one of the operating systems in which the Compiler could work, Greg thought it was quite likely that the Compiler would work in Fedora, Core-3 Linux. And thankfully and happily the Intel Fortran Compiler 8.1 for Linux did work in Fedora, Core-3 Linux, once Greg helped me in installing both of these pieces of software onto my computer's hard drive. The Fedora, Core-3 Linux has glibc 2.3.3-74 and kernel 2.6.9-1.667 incorporated in it.

Pat

There are many people who have successfully installed Intel Fortran on Debian, using the "alien" tool. Version 9.0 has a new option for non-root installation which, I think, may make installing on platforms without RPM easier, though I am not certain of this.

Steve - Intel Developer Support

Thanks, Mr. Lionel, for kindly taking the time to reply here.

Pat

Leave a Comment

Please sign in to add a comment. Not a member? Join today