WRF V3 compile errors with Intel Fortran Compiler 9.0 for Linux*.

WRF V3 compile errors with Intel Fortran Compiler 9.0 for Linux*.

I've got compile errors when building WRF V3 with Intel Fortran Compiler 9.0 for Linux*.

I read "Building WRF with the Intel Compilers" then chose configure option for my system.

I attached my configure.wrf
and also compile.log(./compile em_real >& compile.log)

With configure.wrf I've got compile errors which say

/user2/model/intel/fc/9.0/lib/for_main.o: In function `main':
/user2/model/intel/fc/9.0/lib/for_main.o(.text+0x32): relocation truncated to fit: PCREL21B for_rtl_init_
/user2/model/intel/fc/9.0/lib/for_main.o(.text+0x52): relocation truncated to fit: PCREL21B for_rtl_finish_
make[1]: [em_wrf] Error 1 (ignored)

I also have MM5 model running with no problem s with my system(Itanium) and the same compiler, Intel Fortran Compiler 9.0 for Linux*.
I'll be very grateful for any suggestions.
Thanks very much in advance!!!

AttachmentSize
Downloadapplication/octet-stream configure.wrf20.32 KB
Downloadapplication/octet-stream compile.log23.07 KB
4 posts / 0 new
Last post
For more complete information about compiler optimizations, see our Optimization Notice.

No doubt you've read the old Intel web page referred to in your configure.wrf, where ifort 9.1 is the oldest recommended compiler. Did you try the advice there about changing -O0 to -O1? That frequently helps with these excessive generated code size problems.

I havent come across that error before for builds of WRF on Itanium. A few comments:

The linker error is preceded by very many errors of the type Invalid_sym_id, apparently while compiling module_first_rk_step_part2.f90. I would worry about these also. Can you reproduce these if you go to the dyn_em subdirectory and repeat the compilation command that you see in compile.log? Do you still see the errors if you recompile at O0?

Both errors are suggestive of some sort of incompatibility, eg in libraries, objects or .mod files. Is it possible that some components of the application were built with a very different compiler version or environment? (e.g. esmf, mpi, netcdf). 9.0 is an older version of the compiler, the officially supported versions are 10 and 11. Using 9.0 shouldnt be a problem provided that you use it in an environment that it supports.
Which Linux distribution and version are you using, and which version of gcc, glibc and binutils? What is the full Intel compiler package ID (obtained with ifort V)?

The configuration file that you attached does not seem to fully match the compile log. For example, the log seems to show that mp was used, not fp-model precise, and that gcc was used, not icc.

If you have that possibility, I would try building on a system with version 3 of gcc , (i.e., later than 2.96), and perhaps a more recent Intel compiler.

Martyn Corden
Intel Developer Support

Tools Knowledge Base: http://software.intel.com/en- us/articles/tools
Software Product support info: http://www.intel.com/software/support

Quoting - Martyn Corden (Intel)

the log seems to show that mp was used, not fp-model precise, and that gcc was used, not icc.

If you have that possibility, I would try building on a system with version 3 of gcc , (i.e., later than 2.96), and perhaps a more recent Intel compiler.

-mp is a reasonable choice for a version of ifort-ia64 which is too old to support -fp-model precise. It's also reasonable to try gcc 3.2 or newer, although the Intel doc would recommend icc, as it should perform better, and it would have been more frequently used with WRF.

Leave a Comment

Please sign in to add a comment. Not a member? Join today