warning with IPO flag

warning with IPO flag

Hi,

I'm having an extrain warning during the compilation of my code with the IPO flag.
I think something change in the my system.
Maybe someone can give some explication for this.
System:
Linux pygoscelis 2.6.27-11-generic #1 SMP Thu Jan 29 19:28:32 UTC 2009 x86_64 GNU/Linux
Compiler:
Ifort Intel64, Version 11.0 Build 20081105 Package ID: l_cprof_p_11.0.074
GCC:
gcc (Ubuntu 4.3.2-1ubuntu12) 4.3.2

The warning is:

warning #11526: Invalid Linux linker version 2.18.93.20081009. Disabling linker-based data/function ordering

Thanks

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
For more complete information about compiler optimizations, see our Optimization Notice.

Quoting - clabra

warning #11526: Invalid Linux linker version 2.18.93.20081009. Disabling linker-based data/function ordering

Similar messages have been reported before on the forums, do you mean you didn't search? If that is in fact the version you are using (ld --version), it could be that the ipo simply wasn't tested with binutils in that series. While it is not necessarily related, I've had to give up on the binutils 2.18 series. If you are saying that this problem came in after a binutils "upgrade," you may want to try the older one.

I am unable to recreate this warning with a trivial example so I'm likely not emulating your compile/link steps close enough.

Can you offer some additional details about your compilation and link commands used when the warning appears?

It would be very handy if you happen to have a reproducing test case you could share in this forum. As Tim indicated, there were similar reports in other forums but no test case offered. In lieu of a complete test case, with enough clues about your compile/link we can probably recreate this warning to enable further investigation.

Thanks for the answers,

I searched the warning message in google and I just found a similar comment, with C compiler...
In any case, I tried with a different code in the same PC and compile without warnings!! with this, I don't know if is a problem of the ld version...

The compilation flags are:
FFLAG= -O3 -ipo -no-prec-div -fpe0 -xT -fno-alias -warn all -assume bscc -module ./release -I./source/inclu
LFLAG= $(FFLAG) -i-static

I tried few times and always is the same...

Quoting - clabra
Thanks for the answers,

I searched the warning message in google and I just found a similar comment, with C compiler...
In any case, I tried with a different code in the same PC and compile without warnings!! with this, I don't know if is a problem of the ld version...

The compilation flags are:
FFLAG= -O3 -ipo -no-prec-div -fpe0 -xT -fno-alias -warn all -assume bscc -module ./release -I./source/inclu
LFLAG= $(FFLAG) -i-static

I tried few times and always is the same...

I believe you need to have mutliple source files/ multiple object files to provoke this message with IPO. That's probably why you weren't able to reproduce it with too simple a project.

That said, the linker version on your distribution is presenting a version string that we haven't seen before. There are so many distributions, and so many version string formats, and this is one we don't recognize.

You should be able to safely ignore the warning, with the only consequence being that some optimizations are not applied.

As a better long term solution, could you submit a Premier Support report, including your Linux distribution version and the output of the ld --version string. This will help get your version string recognized.

thank you --

ld --version:
GNU ld (GNU Binutils for Ubuntu) 2.18.93.20081009

I will submit a premier support report, but the code have several source files...
In any case, I will make some test. Maybe I can to reproduce the warning in other projects or obtain more information about the problem using the same system.

Thanks

The root cause of the warning relates to the IPO-linker not understanding the reported ld version. The issue occurs on other Linux distributions, most recently reported on SuSE.

At present, the IPO-linker expects a 5-segment ld version number (typical on RedHat and other distros). On Ubuntu, ld (e.g. ld --version) currently reports a 4-segment version like:

GNU ld (GNU Binutils for Ubuntu) 2.18.93.20081009

SuSE now reports a 6-segment version, hence, users may also see the warning there now.

Support for the 4-segment ld version is forthcoming in our next 11.1 update tentatively due for release in early September. Support for other variants will be available in a future 11.1 update.

The impact of the warning is that the IPO optimization phase is unable to take advantage of the linker-based data/function ordering optimization designed to improve I-cache (instruction cache) usage. There is no work around available, so the warning should just be ignored.

(Internal tracking id: DPD200050307)

(Resolution Update on 11/3/2009): This defect (both 4 and 6-segment ld version support) is fixed in the Intel Fortran Compiler Professional Edition 11.1 Update 3 (11.1.059 - Linux).

Leave a Comment

Please sign in to add a comment. Not a member? Join today