**Internal compiler error: internal abort** when compiling ABAQUS subroutine

**Internal compiler error: internal abort** when compiling ABAQUS subroutine

Hi,

I'm using the Intel Fortran Compiler (Ifort-10.0) together with Abaqus (6.5-5) in order to compile user subroutines for Abaqus. After a server problem I encounter the following error message during the linking of the user subroutines:

Warning: no access to tty (Bad file descriptor).
Thus no job control in this shell.
PATH: Undefined variable.
ABAQUS JOB 2DPoddhookNODES
ABAQUS Version 6.5-5
Begin Compiling ABAQUS/Standard User Subroutines
Wed 03 Jun 2009 11:02:43 AM CEST
uel.f(275): (col. 11) remark: LOOP WAS VECTORIZED.
uel.f(183): (col. 7) remark: LOOP WAS VECTORIZED.
End Compiling ABAQUS/Standard User Subroutines
Begin Linking ABAQUS/Standard User Subroutines
backend signals

fortcom: Severe: **Internal compiler error: internal abort** Please report this error along with the circumstances in which it occurred in a Software Problem Report. Note: File and line given may not be explicit cause of this error.

ifort-10: error #10014: problem during multi-file optimization compilation (code 3)
ABAQUS Error: Problem during linking - ABAQUS/Standard User Subroutines
ABAQUS/Analysis exited with errors

The point is that everything works fine if run that job file from another directory, but by putting links to the source files.
Do you have any idea what may cause the problem?

Regards,
Maik

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
For more complete information about compiler optimizations, see our Optimization Notice.

If I am interpreting things correctly, the abort occurs during the link step when the Intel pre-linker is invoked. I have seen this error occur if there was a problem compiling one of the objects, so perhaps the path errors had something to do with it. Which options are you using in the ifort commnds?

Version 10.0 is two years old now - have you tried a current compiler version?

Steve - Intel Developer Support

Quoting - Steve Lionel (Intel)
If I am interpreting things correctly, the abort occurs during the link step when the Intel pre-linker is invoked. I have seen this error occur if there was a problem compiling one of the objects, so perhaps the path errors had something to do with it. Which options are you using in the ifort commnds?

Version 10.0 is two years old now - have you tried a current compiler version?

For your user compiled subroutines, are you using -fast or -ipo?

Hi guys,

thanks for your response and proposals.

Quoting - Ronald Green (Intel)

For your user compiled subroutines, are you using -fast or -ipo?

I'm using none of them. I've translated my code with debugging symbols. I forgot to mention that my user subroutine includes several subroutines in C and compiled with GCC as well. Since the error happens during linking, there might be some trouble because of the interlanguage calls.

Anyway, at first I will asked our admin to install the latest ifort version and I try to verify the compiler flags I've used. By the way, is there an Intel C compiler? It might be more suitable to go along with Intel products.

Regards,
Maik

There certainly is an Intel C/C++ compiler. http://software.intel.com/en-us/intel-compilers/

Steve - Intel Developer Support

I'm afraid you're grasping at straws. As I understand it, you're using the user subroutine interface for a commercial licensed product, but not following advice from the vendor. You're seeing a failure which occurs only with certain variations in your directory structure.A newer ifort version than the ones suggested by the vendor is unlikely to help. Even if there were any C functions compiled by the vendor with Intel C or C++, ifort would take care of all link requirements, unless the vendor instructs you otherwise. I see no evidence that the failure is associated with absence of Intel C++ on your system.
If you were to write your own functions in C or C++, and wanted them optimized for performance, then Intel C++ would play a role.

For user defined subroutine has this linking (ABAQUS and FORTRAN) worked before without explicit linking?
I have had a similar error in the past and it was related to the installation of ABAQUS not recognizing the FORTRAN installation completely.

Leave a Comment

Please sign in to add a comment. Not a member? Join today