if the debugger is invoked via the command "idb ./mycode", the idb GUI
comes up and I do my debugging...no problem. When done, I select "Exit"
under "File" in the menu bar. The GUI then exits, but control is not
returned to the window from which it was launched, and the window is
locked. "Ctrl-C" does not release it, and if I open another window and
issue "ps -u myusername", I see three processes related to idb still
running: idb, java, and "iidb ". I have to manually
kill each of these from the second window before I can regain control
of the first. This becomes irritating after a few sessions.

Is
there a way to have these "zombie" processes go away without this
annoyance? Is there a better way to launch idb so this is not an
issue? Thanks in advance for your advice!

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
For more complete information about compiler optimizations, see our Optimization Notice.

yes, same problems here with 32 Bit Linux, and the debugged programs are also listed in ps

Dennis,
If you source the compiler tools correctly, for example
($ source /opt/intel/Compiler/11.1/072/bin/iccvars.sh intel64)
and use the rightJRE (version 1.5 (aka 5.0) and later, take care about 32/64 bit!) this problem should not happen.
Which is the OS (32, 64 bit)? What JAVA runtime ($ java -version)?
Hubert.

Hubert,

Thanks for your quick reply! I'm running 32-bit Linux Scientific and using "Java SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_06-b02)" for Java. The compiler tools are located as:

idb: /opt/intel/Compiler/11.1/046/bin/ia32/idb
ifort: /opt/intel/Compiler/11.1/046/bin/ia32/ifort

Is this enough information? Forgive me if not, as I'm not the SA for this machine, just the end-user. Thanks again for the help!

Hi Hans,

Have you received advice concerning this topic from anyone else? My SA is unable to help. Thanks!

Dennis Pope

Works fine on Sun Grid Engine (Unix based cluster).idb:idb (64 bit) version 11.1.046Java: java version "1.6.0_07"Java SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_07-b06)Java HotSpot 64-Bit Server VM (build 10.0-b23, mixed mode)java version "1.6.0_07"Java SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_07-b06)Java HotSpot 64-Bit Server VM (build 10.0-b23, mixed mode)

Hi Dennis,

sorry - Im my own root but I'm still not able to help you.

Im running Ubuntu 10.04 32 Bit Edition, thus all my software should be 32 Bit versions, including Java:

$ java -d64
This Java instance does not support a 64-bit JVM.
Please install the desired version.
sep@sep-mobile:~$ java -version
java version "1.6.0_18"
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (IcedTea6 1.8) (6b18-1.8-0ubuntu1)
OpenJDK Server VM (build 14.0-b16, mixed mode)
$ 

Hans

OK, I've figured out a partial resolution to this problem: in the script that launches idb, if I modify the java command to include the following option

java -Xrs -jar ...whatever

this helps. Once I choose 'Exit' from the GUI menubar, the GUI goes away, and returns control of the launch window to me. As an added bonus, the zombie processes are gone. It would be perfect if window control would return immediately upon GUI exit, but for now, I'll have to live with the Ctrl-C workaround. Apparently, this command-line option modifies exit-signal handling in some way that is beneficial(though not ideal) for my case. Any java gurus out there who can refine this hack or know of a better way?

Thanks!

Dennis,
I'll investigate further. What is the SL version you use?
Hubert.

Dennis,
On a 64-bit SL4 I don't see any problem with the IDB Debugger. However, I had to install a newer JRE from www.java.com. By default, an older 32-bit version was installed (seems to be the same as you have listed). On your system, the default JRE should be ok, but I'd recommend to install the newest SUN JRE.
Install it temporarily on your home and expand the PATHwith~/jre1.6.0_20/bin
Hubert.

Leave a Comment

Please sign in to add a comment. Not a member? Join today