Problem with a pointer procedure pointing to bound-type subroutine

Problem with a pointer procedure pointing to bound-type subroutine

Hi,

I am trying turn an existing code into Oriented-Object.
I need to define a pointer procedure which points to a bound-type subroutine
The source code is provided below:
- the typedef_module.f90 module defines the derived-type variable and its bound procedure.
- the second_module.f90 module makes the pointer procedure affectation and the procedure call
- the main.f90 is the main program

The compilation/execution is acheived by the following command:
ifort -c typdef_module.f90; ifort -c second_module.f90; ifort main.f90 typdef_module.f90 second_module.f90; ./a.out

Program Main
use TypeDef_Module ,only: MyType
use Second_Module ,only: Action
implicit none
integer :: iinp, iout
type(MyType) :: TypVar
iinp = 5
call Action( TypVar, iinp, iout )
write(*,*) iout
End Program 

Module TypeDef_Module implicit none private public MyType Type :: MyType contains procedure ,nopass :: Fct End Type contains Subroutine Fct ( iinp, iout ) integer ,intent(in) :: iinp integer ,intent(out) :: iout iout = 2 * iinp End Subroutine End Module 

Module Second_Module implicit none private public Action contains Subroutine Action ( TypVar, iinp, iout ) use TypeDef_Module ,only: MyType implicit none type(MyType) ,intent(in) :: TypVar integer ,intent(in) :: iinp integer ,intent(out) :: iout interface Subroutine Fct_Interface ( iinp, iout ) integer ,intent(in) :: iinp integer ,intent(out) :: iout End Subroutine end interface procedure(Fct_Interface) ,pointer :: funct funct => TypVar%Fct() call funct( iinp, iout ) End Subroutine End Module 

This code leads to the following compilation error:

$ ifort -c second_module.f90 second_module.f90(19): error #6553: A function reference is invoking a subroutine subprogram. [FCT] funct => TypVar%Fct() --------------------^ second_module.f90(19): error #6402: prPromoteSym : Illegal KIND & CLASS mix [FCT] funct => TypVar%Fct() --------------------^ second_module.f90(19): error #7021: Name invalid in this context [FCT] funct => TypVar%Fct() --------------------^ second_module.f90: error #5270: Internal Compiler Error: symbol not a SYMTOK second_module.f90: catastrophic error: **Internal compiler error: segmentation violation signal raised** Please report this error along with the circumstances in which it occurred in a Software Problem Report. Note: File and line given may not be explicit cause of this error. compilation aborted for second_module.f90 (code 1)

Is there something I am doing wrong ?Thanks for your help.

By the way I am using:

$ ifort -V Intel Fortran Compiler XE for applications running on IA-32, Version 12.1.1.256 Build 20111011 Copyright (C) 1985-2011 Intel Corporation. All rights reserved. FOR NON-COMMERCIAL USE ONLY

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
For more complete information about compiler optimizations, see our Optimization Notice.

I managed to make the code work using a non-type-bound function (instead of subroutine).
However, I need a type-bound subroutine:

Program Main

use TypeDef_Module ,only: MyType

use Second_Module  ,only: Action

implicit none

integer      :: iinp, iout

type(MyType) :: TypVar

iinp = 5

call Action( TypVar, iinp, iout )

write(*,*) iout

End Program
Module TypeDef_Module

implicit none

private

public MyType, Fct

Type :: MyType

contains

procedure ,nopass :: Fct

End Type

contains

Function Fct ( iinp ) result(iout)

integer ,intent(in)  :: iinp

integer              :: iout

iout = 2 * iinp

End Function

End Module
Module Second_Module

implicit none

private

public Action

contains

Subroutine Action ( TypVar, iinp, iout )

use TypeDef_Module ,only: MyType, Fct

implicit none

type(MyType)         ,intent(in)  :: TypVar

integer              ,intent(in)  :: iinp

integer              ,intent(out) :: iout

interface

Function Fct_Interface ( iinp ) result(iout)

integer ,intent(in)  :: iinp

integer              :: iout

End Function

end interface

procedure(Fct_Interface) ,pointer :: funct

!     funct => TypVar%Fct

!     associate	(TypFct => TypVar%Fct)

!       funct => TypFct

!     end associate

funct => Fct

iout = funct( iinp )

End Subroutine

End Module
In the above code, Fct is exactly the same procedure than TypVar%Fct, except that is is not bound to a type.
If I comment line 50 and uncomment line 46, I get the following error:

second_module.f90(19): error #8191: The procedure target must be a procedure or a procedure pointer.   [FCT]

funct => TypVar%Fct

--------------------^

second_module.f90(19): error #8180: The procedure pointer and the procedure target must have matching result types.   [FUNCT]

funct => TypVar%Fct

----^

second_module.f90(19): error #8178: The procedure pointer and the procedure target must have matching arguments.

funct => TypVar%Fct

----^

compilation aborted for second_module.f90 (code 1)

second_module.f90(19): error #8191: The procedure target must be a procedure or a procedure pointer.   [FCT]

funct => TypVar%Fct

--------------------^

second_module.f90(19): error #8180: The procedure pointer and the procedure target must have matching result types.   [FUNCT]

funct => TypVar%Fct

----^

second_module.f90(19): error #8178: The procedure pointer and the procedure target must have matching arguments.

funct => TypVar%Fct

----^

compilation aborted for second_module.f90 (code 1)

I have also tried to used an associated block, without any success.

Hello,
The Fortran standard does not allow assigning a procedure pointer to type-bound procedure. This is why "funct => TypVar%Fct" results in error messages.

In regards to your original post, an Internal Compiler Error means there is a bug in the compiler. I will investigate it further and get back to you.

Regards,
Annalee
Intel Developer Support

I have reported the Internal Compiler Error to the developers. The issue number is DPD200179510.

I will post any updates I receive on the problem to this thread.

OK... bad news.

So, do you have any recommendations to solve my problem which is the following:

I want to solve a system of ODE equations using an external library such as DVODE or IODE (the Intel Ordinary Differential Equation Solver library). Both these libraries provides subroutine procedures (DVODE/DODESOL) which require procedure arguments for evaluating the ODE system Right-Hand-Side (RHS) and its associated jacobian (JAC).

I defined an abstract type called with an type-bound procedure which integrates the system according to a specific integration method defined at run-time. An ODE system is then created extending this type. Therefore, procedures for evaluating the RHS and the JAC can varie at rune-time. As a consequence, I need a way, in the integration procedure, to call the ODE solver procedure with different RHS and JAC procedure. Instead of:

call DODESOL ( ..., FCT_RHS, FCT_JAC, ... )
I need some thing like this:
call DODESOL ( ..., This%FCT_RHS, This%FCT_JAC, ... )
where "This" in the passeddummy argumenent corresponding to the system to be integrated.Unfortunately, this last formulation generate errors since the compiler think a variable is passed instead of a procedure leading th the following error
error #6635: This actual argument must be the name of a procedure and not a data object.
Thanks

I would suggest adding procedure pointers to your type which point to the underlying procedures. You can then pass these procedures to the differential equation solvers.

Your call to the ODE solver would look something like:

call DODESOL ( ..., This%FCT_RHS_procedure_pointer, This%FCT_JAC_procedure_pointer, ... )

We are planning to include a fix for the Internal Compiler Error in the next major release which is currentlyscheduled for later this year.

This is issue has been fixed in Intel® Fortran Composer XE for Linux* 2013 which is now available at the Intel® Registration Center.

Regards,
Annalee
Intel Developer Support
* Other names and brands may be claimed as the property of others.

Leave a Comment

Please sign in to add a comment. Not a member? Join today