Installing problem of MediaserveressentialR6 on boardwell

Installing problem of MediaserveressentialR6 on boardwell

Hi,

I have fresh new install of centos 7.1 on broadwell and trying to install intel media server studio essential 2015 r6 but it crashes and board shut down

My platform:

GPU: Intel Boardwell

Linux Kernel: 3.10.0-229.7.2.el7.x86_64

MSS version: Essentials 2015R6 for Linux (mediaserverstudioessentials2015r6.tar.gz)

My procedure:

I followed the document, Intel® Media Server Studio 2015 - Driver, SDK, Samples for Linux* Getting Started Guide .first untarring mediaserverstudioessentials2015r6.tar.gz, and then untarring SDK2015Production16.4.2.1.tar.gz and follow below steps

tar -xvzf MediaServerStudio*.tar.gz
          cd MediaServerStudio*
          tar -xvzf SDK*.tar.gz
          cd SDK*
          tar -xvzf install_scripts*.tar.gzas root)
          ./install_sdk_UMD_CentOS.sh
           mkdir /MSS
           chown {regular user}:{regular group} /MSS
           cp build_kernel_rpm_CentOS.sh /MSS
           cd /MSS
         ./build_kernel_rpm*.sh

but when the build_kernel_rpm*.sh start compling new kernel the screen black out and OS shut down and i need to reboot the system again.

As script not run scucessful ,i am not getting new kernel

Please tell me is there any steps i am missing .

Thanks.

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
For more complete information about compiler optimizations, see our Optimization Notice.

It seems that problem is not in the script. During trouble shooting  found that kernel has thrown Warning message " CPUn: Core temperature above threshold, cpu clock throttled ".
Running sensors utility to check the temp of CPU and when warning message came. The CPU was temperature was around 100 C. Is it normal behaviour.
Also dmesg is showing error message related FAN1. Are these expected  messages ??

[   84.488937] ACPI Error: Method parse/execution failed [\_TZ_.FN01._ON_] (Node ffff880147ac5ca8), AE_AML_INFINITE_LOOP (20130517/psparse-536)
[   84.488945] ACPI: Device [FAN1] failed to transition to D0
[   87.123211] ACPI Error: Method parse/execution failed [\_SB_.PCI0.LPCB.H_EC.ECMD] (Node ffff880147ab52f8), AE_AML_INFINITE_LOOP (20130517

Just verify if crash is due to warning message "CPUn: Core temperature above threshold, cpu clock throttled " simultaneously ran 4 instance of building FFMPEG utility and same behaviour was observed.

Hi there,

Can you give us your system config like processor no. and graphics your system has? Just to make sure it is supported platform.

Some of the checks I would suggest is mentioned in this FAQ "How can I check if Media Server Studio is installed correctly for my OS?"  here ,

For Linux, review the Getting Started Guide on how to install Media Server Studio for CentOS and SLES. To check if the install process was successful, here are some tests to help identify issues. (The output of these commands should match the ones provided in the Guide)

uname –ar
Ensure you are booted into the correct kernel. The following command should return the kernel with "MSSrN" in the ID (where N is the release number).

lspci –nn | grep VGA
Check if the Intel® Integrated Graphics is being recognized by the PCI on VGA

lsmod | grep i915
Check if the i915 DRM module is installed

Other than this, can you please confirm while installing CentOS, you chose "Development and Creative Workstation" option which is pre requisite.  Also, please make sure kernel mode driver changes should be as a regular user not as a root. I don't expect to see those kernel warnings. If you can let us the system info, we might be able to replicate the issue at our end. But please check the above again to make sure we are doing everything required to install Media Server Studio.  

Similar problem encountered by other customers, you can find their answers on these posts - 561799, 562172, 558176.
For Media related queries, please post your question on media forum for a quicker turnaround.

Thanks,
Surbhi

Hi Surabhi,

Thanks for your reply.

Regarding system config i have check its Xeon Processor and graphics driver is i915.

and I am following all the steps whatever mention in the how to install Media Server Studio for CentOS document.

As my build_rpm* script is not completed sucessfully ,before this system send warning messages as i have mention in my second post come up

and system get shut down. so kernel is not upgarded more refine i can say when i rpmbuild command or put two or three make comand symultaneously it behave like this.

Can you please tell me how can i stop this warning and one more thing as in haswell board fan start running at boot time and then stop and run when it is heat up ,then why boardwell is not behaving like this.

Thanks,

Ajita

Best Reply

Hi Ajita,

I think the root cause maybe is your board fan does not work after boot up, actually build kernel will consume more source of CPU, so you can not finish ./build_kernel_rpm*.sh. board fan does not work often relative BIOS, maybe you need upgrade your BIOS for support your board fan.

Best Regards,

Zachary

Hi Zachary,

Thanks for your reply.

Can you please tell me how can i upgrade my BIOS.

Thanks,

Ajita

Hi,

I have make one alternate arragement ,acttually there is two power slot for FAN in board to get them power supply.

I just switches to another one ,Now FAN is runing continously and everything working fine.

Just to know that if FAN is running continously is there any problem ?

Regards,

Ajita

Leave a Comment

Please sign in to add a comment. Not a member? Join today