Differences between PCA MMX and non MMX APIs ?

Differences between PCA MMX and non MMX APIs ?

Hi,

I'm looking for the differences between the IPP APIs available for Intel Personal Internet Client Architecture Processors with Intel Wireless MMX Technology (like Intel PXA27x processors) and IPP APIs available for PCA Processors without MMX Technology (like Intel PXA 25x and 26x processors). I haven't found relevant information about this subject.

On the Intel Integrated Performance Primitives on Intel Personal Internet Client Architecture Processors Reference Manual, some chapters begin with saying : << This chapter describesxxx functions for the Intel Integrated Performance Primitives (Intel IPP) on the Intel Integrated Performance Primitives on Intel PCA Processors with Intel Wireless MMXTM Technology (PCA processors with MMXTM). >> (Chapter 6 for example ). Does it mean that API described in these chapters are not available for PCA Processors without MMX ?

Is there a simple array which explain this difference ?

If we see the name of an API in a sample, how can we simply know if it is available for PCA Processors without MMX ?

Thanks,
Guillaume Tamisier

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
For more complete information about compiler optimizations, see our Optimization Notice.

Dear Customer,

Most of APIs between PCA MMX and PCA without MMXshouldbeidentical.
Only camera image functions in latest Intel IPP 4.1 are only implemented for Intel PCA 27x processors in order tosupports Intel Quick Capture technology.

The FFT and resample APIincompatibilitiesbetween those 2 packages have beenlogged as defects. The APIs across architectures should be identical to the extent they are not limited by hardware. We will fix them in future releases. If you find more incompatiblities, please report us via Intel Premier Support at https://premier.intel.com

You are right that our manual in both packages for PCA processors are not clairfy the difference, and we will make document improvement in future releases.

Thanks,
Ying S
Intel IPP

Thanks for your answer.

If I understand well what you said, ALL samples given for the Intel Personal Internet Client Architecture Processors with Intel Wireless MMX Technology (like Intel PXA27x processors) should work with PCA Processors without MMX Technology (like Intel PXA 25x and 26x processors), except the ones which use APIs related to camera images .Is it correct ? I need a sure anwser to this question !

Thanks in advance,
Guillaume Tamisier

No, the samples we provided for PCA should work for both PXA25x/26x and PXA27x processors.

Hope it helps.
Thanks,
Ying S
Intel IPP Support

I'm sorry to insist, but your answer is very important, as it will trigger my decision to choose IPP or not.

So let's take an example : In your samples included in the file w_ipp-sample-crossarch_p_4[1].1.004.zip (Intel IPP Cross Architecture Samples for Windows),all readme.htm files say that << A system based on the Intel PXA27x processor with 64 megabytes of RAM, or better. >> is required. So why ?? Do these samples work with PCA Processors without MMX Technology (like Intel PXA 25x and 26x processors) ? Your past reponses seem to say that it will work. But in that case, why such a hardware requirement is written ?

Can you answer this question ? If needed, please ask the IPP development team, as your answer will decide whether or notI will use IPP.

Thanks in advance for your help,
Guillaume Tamisier

Dear Customer,

You can build those samples on Intel PXA25x/26x systems but you may need to modify the makefiles to:

1. Link Intel IPP libs optimized for PXA25x/26x.
2. Use the tool-chain for PXA26x/26x system.

We only validated the samples on PXA27x platform, that is why we didn't mention PXA25x/26x in the recommended hardware list.

Hope it helps.
Thanks,
Ying

Hello Ying,

Thanks for your answer.

What do you mean exactly when you say "Use the tool-chain for PXA26x/26x system." ? In order to build those samples on Intel PXA25x/26x systems, I obviously have to link Intel IPP libs optimized for PXA25x/26x, but what else ?

Thanks in advance for your help,
Guillaume Tamisier

Leave a Comment

Please sign in to add a comment. Not a member? Join today