About the override of core frequency

About the override of core frequency

In the datasheet of Intel CoreTM i7 Processor Extreme Edition and Intel CoreTM i7 Processor(2.4 Processor Clocking (BCLK_DP, BCLK_DN)), it says that we can override the processor core frequency setting using software. This permits operation at lower core frequencies than the factory set maximum core frequency. But I do not know how to override. Could you please tell me? vy changing the multiplier? Thanks

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
For more complete information about compiler optimizations, see our Optimization Notice.

Quoting - shihui929

In the datasheet of Intel CoreTM i7 Processor Extreme Edition and Intel CoreTM i7 Processor(2.4 Processor Clocking (BCLK_DP, BCLK_DN)), it says that we can override the processor core frequency setting using software. This permits operation at lower core frequencies than the factory set maximum core frequency. But I do not know how to override. Could you please tell me? vy changing the multiplier? Thanks

Yes, it is done by setting the clock multiplier in Model Specific Register, requiring ring 0 privilege. You may find references to it by web search. I don't know of any supported publicly available software, although there is linux kernel code for demand scheduling.

Quoting - tim18
Yes, it is done by setting the clock multiplier in Model Specific Register, requiring ring 0 privilege. You may find references to it by web search. I don't know of any supported publicly available software, although there is linux kernel code for demand scheduling.

Can IuseCLOCK_FLEX_MAX MSR to change clock multiplier?

Leave a Comment

Please sign in to add a comment. Not a member? Join today