Intel's IA32/64 bit architecture's instruction set encoding

Intel's IA32/64 bit architecture's instruction set encoding

I'm contacting you in referenceto the "Intel 64 and IA-32 Architectures Software Developers Manual" document volume 2B (#253667), appendix B.

I'm currently coding a disassembler, and while studying the instruction set opcode encoding I've noticed a resemblance of bits encoding between different, yet similar instructions.

For example, I found that in some of the 0x0? single byte instructions, when the sixth byte equals 1 and the fifth 0, a direct reference to AL/AX/EAX is being made.

Another repetitive pattern I noticed is that in the shift/rotate instructions: the seventh bit determines the usage of the CL register, I also noticed a relevance of the fourth bit - it determines, if equals 1, a pre-defined factor - cl register, 1 bit rotation, or, if equals 0, an imm8 data reference. Some of these, and more, also repeat in other instructions as well.

I wondered if there is a manual/resource/index that defineslists these encodings that you could refer me to, as I'm interested in the listing for my project and general understanding. I also wish, if possible, a clarification for the reserved values in some of the bits in some ModRM bytes(usually reg1 - RCL for example, reserves 010b)

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
For more complete information about compiler optimizations, see our Optimization Notice.

If you are writing your software under GPL license, you can make use of what is in gnu binutils. Otherwise, I think you will have a steeper learning curve.

Your observation ofcertain patterns is a reflection of several evolving design considerations that applied to earlier times in the progression of Moore's law on microprocessor architecture.

There are many technical and non-technical factors that influence the selection of instruction syntax and instruction encoding scheme for newer instructions. Those factors change over time, what may be important in the days when one-byte-opcode instructions were architected may be less relevant now with more transistors available for processor logic.

It may be an interesting topic as a historical write up, but the safer way for a disassembler tool is a factual approach of what's presented in chapter 2 and Section 3.1 of Vol. 2A, instead of trying to extrapolate a theorem from phenomenological data in one or two tables in appendix B.

You can find handy quick instruction reference here: http://ref.x86asm.net/

Links to several editions are at the bottom of page. It also contains XML list of instruction, and I think author intended this to be complete enough to somehow generate disassembler from it.

If you want easy-to-use portable x86 disassembler with nice (BSD) licence, my suggestion would be diStorm:

http://www.ragestorm.net/distorm/

vid512:If you want easy-to-use portable x86 disassembler with nice (BSD) licence, my suggestion would be diStorm:
http://www.ragestorm.net/distorm/

Or objconv. www.agner.org/optimize/objconv.zip. Open source, supports latest instruction sets, all operating systems and file formats.

Leave a Comment

Please sign in to add a comment. Not a member? Join today