missing libscif.so.0 object file?

missing libscif.so.0 object file?

Hi all,

I'm trying to install MPSS on Ubuntu 12.04 (I understand that only redhat and suse are well supported). I convert the .rpm files into .deb using "alien", and install them by the command dpkg -i *.deb. No error is reported in the installation process. But as I try to invoke micctrl or other mic utility such as micinfo, one message pops up:

error while loading shared libraries: libscif.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory.

What does this error mean? When and where is that shared library supposed to be installed? Thanks!

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
For more complete information about compiler optimizations, see our Optimization Notice.

Normal location of that library is /opt/intel/mic/filesystem/base/lib64/libscif.so.0

and it gets copied to /lib64 on the coprocessor in a default (no mounts) installation.

Who copies this library there?!

Which software?

This library is nowhere to be found under the directory from intel.

And I asked my administrator to install it!

this gets installed as part of the MPSS (latest package: http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-many-integrated-core-architecture-intel-mic-architecture-platform-software-stack  )

make sure your system administrator has installed it properly (and using the latest?)

more specifically this rpm in the mpss has it (example here was what I had installed recently on an RHEL system)

rpm -ql intel-mic-gpl-2.1.5889-16.el6.x86_64 | grep libscif.so
/opt/intel/mic/filesystem/base/lib64/libscif.so.0
/opt/intel/mic/filesystem/base/lib64/libscif.so.0.0.1
/usr/lib64/libscif.so
/usr/lib64/libscif.so.0
/usr/lib64/libscif.so.0.0.1
/usr/linux-k1om-4.7/linux-k1om/usr/lib64/libscif.so
/usr/linux-k1om-4.7/linux-k1om/usr/lib64/libscif.so.0
/usr/linux-k1om-4.7/linux-k1om/usr/lib64/libscif.so.0.0.1

Belinda Liviero

I'm wondering if the micctrl --initdefaults got run. The easy way to tell would be to look in /etc/sysconfig/mic. And look in /opt/intel/mic/filesystem to see if there is a mic0.image file. Even if the file is in /opt/intel/mic/filesystem/base/lib64/libscif.so.0, it won't make it to the coprocessor unless it is in the image file.

It is host-side commands (micctrl, micinfo) that are not working. The missing file resides on the host under /usr/lib64. From a RHEL6.3 install, here's what exists:

$ pwd
/usr/lib64

$  ls -l libsci*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root    16 Jan 29 02:15 libscif.so -> libscif.so.0.0.1
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root    16 Jan 29 02:15 libscif.so.0 -> libscif.so.0.0.1
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 20434 Dec 17 04:58 libscif.so.0.0.1

Leave a Comment

Please sign in to add a comment. Not a member? Join today