Windows* early enabling for Intel(R) Xeon Phi(tm) Coprocessors
We are excited to announce the release of Beta software drivers and development tools for you to run Windows* on Intel(R) Xeon(R) processor based hosts installed with Intel(R) Xeon Phi(tm) Coprocessors.
Intel has received many requests to support the Intel® Xeon Phi™ Coprocessor in a host system running Microsoft* Windows*.
We are excited to announce the release of Beta software drivers and development tools for you to try in this environment!
We are making this software available early for those of you who indicated, that you want to invest time in pathfinding: as stated above, the software and drivers are both Beta and the overall experience running with this platform combination is in an early stage. Moreover, the Windows hosted model hasn’t been tested on many OEM hardware configurations, thus you might encounter problems on hardware we haven’t tested yet.
All of our documentation pertaining to this beta release can be found here: http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/windows-early-enabling-for-intelr-xeon-phitm-coprocessor
- Microsoft* Windows 7 Enterprise SP1 (64-bit), Windows 8 Enterprise (64-bit), Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 (64-bit) and Windows Server 2012 (64-bit) are the versions that can run on the Intel® Xeon® processor based host containing the Intel® Xeon Phi™ Coprocessor. The coprocessor will still be running a modified card OS based on Linux*. This card OS will get installed when you apply the drivers (mentioned below)
- Get Hardware: Consult this list to see what OEM hardware providers sell systems with Intel® Xeon Phi™ Coprocessor. If you are considering using a remote cluster, you can ask your remote cluster provider if they are willing to support a small grouping of systems with this configuration, but be aware this may not be possible.
- Get development software and drivers: The Beta drivers and development software that are validated against Windows 7 Enterprise SP1 or Windows Server 2008 R2 are available here. Access to downloads and support requires a registration
- Learn more: Consult this page regularly to monitor for more information becoming available (guides, BKMs, etc.). This is where you will find instructions on how to get help.
- Get support: if your 3rd party software does not run on Intel Xeon Phi Coprocessors, we encourage you to contact your software vendor to let them know your needs.
If you run into issues with drivers or Intel development software, we ask that you characterize the issue as much as possible. Instructions on where to take your issues or questions are provided here
Because you are pioneering this environment, we look forward to you collaborating with us to ask questions related to this setup and answer questions from others in the forum.