Where is micctrl?

Where is micctrl?

I just got a workstation with 2 Xeon Phi cards on it. Today I installed OpenSuSE 12.3 and MPSS-3.1(SLSE 11SP2). All rpms seemed installed OK, however, I did not find the command micctrl in my system, I wonder what is missing?  I am just beginning to learn MPSS, please help.  Thanks.

Jyh-Shyong Ho

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
For more complete information about compiler optimizations, see our Optimization Notice.

I suppose the pre-built MPSS for SLES 11 will not run on OpenSuSE; you need an exact match with host kernel or will need to rebuilt MPSS from source.

Thanks for the reply.  I'll try CentOS and also try to build MPSS from source with OpenSuSE.

During the process of building linux-2.6.38+mpss3.1, I encountered the following error:

hpctest-2:/scratch/mpss-3.1/src/linux-2.6.38+mpss3.1 # make
CHK include/linux/version.h
CHK include/generated/utsrelease.h
CALL scripts/checksyscalls.sh
CHK include/generated/compile.h
CC arch/x86/kernel/intelmic.o
arch/x86/kernel/intelmic.c:81:0: warning: "SBOX_SDBIC1" redefined [enabled by default]
In file included from /scratch/mpss-3.1/src/linux-2.6.38+mpss3.1/arch/x86/include/asm/mic_def.h:61:0,
from arch/x86/kernel/intelmic.c:53:
/scratch/mpss-3.1/src/linux-2.6.38+mpss3.1/arch/x86/include/asm/mic/mic_knc/micsboxdefine.h:137:0: note: this is the location of the previous definition
arch/x86/kernel/intelmic.c: In function ‘intel_mic_calibrate_tsc’:
arch/x86/kernel/intelmic.c:309:2: error: implicit declaration of function ‘get_core_freq’ [-Werror=implicit-function-declaration]
arch/x86/kernel/intelmic.c: In function ‘mic_setup_isr’:
arch/x86/kernel/intelmic.c:461:2: warning: suggest parentheses around assignment used as truth value [-Wparentheses]
arch/x86/kernel/intelmic.c:459:6: warning: unused variable ‘i’ [-Wunused-variable]
arch/x86/kernel/intelmic.c: At top level:
arch/x86/kernel/intelmic.c:467:1: warning: initialization from incompatible pointer type [enabled by default]
arch/x86/kernel/intelmic.c:168:24: warning: ‘pll_info_gpu’ defined but not used [-Wunused-variable]
arch/x86/kernel/intelmic.c:200:12: warning: ‘ratio_to_mhz’ defined but not used [-Wunused-function]
cc1: some warnings being treated as errors
make[2]: *** [arch/x86/kernel/intelmic.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [arch/x86/kernel] Error 2
make: *** [arch/x86] Error 2

Any suggestion?

Jyh-Shyong Ho

Just to make sure I am not confused - did you also rebuild linux linux-2.6.38? Or just the MPSS? I would start by trying to recompile only the mic.ko kernel module following the directions in section 8.1 of the user guide that comes with the MPSS. Is that what you did?

Two more things - micctrl installs in /usr/bin on the host in MPSS 3.1.And the mic.ko kernel module should be recompiled for CentOS as well as for OpenSuSE. 

Dear Roth,

Thanks for your reply.  I tried to install MPSS-3.1 on OpenSuSE 12.3,  I got the following error when I issued the command:

rpmbuild --rebuild mpss-modules*.suse*.src.rpm

+ '[' 0 -ne 0 ']'
+ /usr/bin/chmod -Rf a+rX,u+w,g-w,o-w .
+ exit 0
Executing(%build): /bin/sh -e /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.pPKLNi
+ umask 022
+ cd /usr/src/packages/BUILD
+ /usr/bin/rm -rf /usr/src/packages/BUILDROOT/mpss-modules-3.1-0.1.build0.suse11.x86_64
++ dirname /usr/src/packages/BUILDROOT/mpss-modules-3.1-0.1.build0.suse11.x86_64
+ /usr/bin/mkdir -p /usr/src/packages/BUILDROOT
+ /usr/bin/mkdir /usr/src/packages/BUILDROOT/mpss-modules-3.1-0.1.build0.suse11.x86_64
+ cd mpss-modules-3.1
+ '[' -d modules ']'
+ make KERNEL_VERSION=3.7.10-1.16-desktop KERNEL_SRC=/lib/modules/3.7.10-1.16-desktop/build 'CC=gcc ' 'LD=ld ' MIC_CARD_ARCH=k1om
make -C /lib/modules/3.7.10-1.16-desktop/build M=/usr/src/packages/BUILD/mpss-modules-3.1 modules \
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-3.7.10-1.16-obj/x86_64/desktop'
  CC [M]  /usr/src/packages/BUILD/mpss-modules-3.1/dma/mic_dma_lib.o
  CC [M]  /usr/src/packages/BUILD/mpss-modules-3.1/dma/mic_dma_md.o
  CC [M]  /usr/src/packages/BUILD/mpss-modules-3.1/host/acptboot.o
  CC [M]  /usr/src/packages/BUILD/mpss-modules-3.1/host/ioctl.o
  CC [M]  /usr/src/packages/BUILD/mpss-modules-3.1/host/linpm.o
  CC [M]  /usr/src/packages/BUILD/mpss-modules-3.1/host/linpsmi.o
  CC [M]  /usr/src/packages/BUILD/mpss-modules-3.1/host/linscif_host.o
  CC [M]  /usr/src/packages/BUILD/mpss-modules-3.1/host/linsysfs.o
  CC [M]  /usr/src/packages/BUILD/mpss-modules-3.1/host/linux.o
  CC [M]  /usr/src/packages/BUILD/mpss-modules-3.1/host/linvcons.o
/usr/src/packages/BUILD/mpss-modules-3.1/host/linvcons.c: In function ‘micvcons_create’:
/usr/src/packages/BUILD/mpss-modules-3.1/host/linvcons.c:96:14: error: ‘struct tty_driver’ has no member named ‘minor_num’
make[4]: *** [/usr/src/packages/BUILD/mpss-modules-3.1/host/linvcons.o] Error 1
make[3]: *** [_module_/usr/src/packages/BUILD/mpss-modules-3.1] Error 2
make[2]: *** [sub-make] Error 2
make[1]: *** [all] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-3.7.10-1.16-obj/x86_64/desktop'
make: *** [modules] Error 2
error: Bad exit status from /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.pPKLNi (%build)

RPM build errors:
    user build does not exist - using root
    group build does not exist - using root
    user build does not exist - using root
    group build does not exist - using root
    Bad exit status from /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.pPKLNi (%build)

Is there any way to fix the problem?   or I am in the wrong version of the OS?

/usr/src/packages/BUILD/mpss-modules-3.1/host/linvcons.c:96:14: error: ‘struct tty_driver’ has no member named ‘minor_num’

I know that error - the Linux kernel you are using is not yet supported by the current MPSS. The only Linux releases that are officially supported are those listed in the readme file that comes with the MPSS. You can use one of those releases to resolve this. You can also look at the discussion in: http://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/topic/480160 for how others dealt with this.

Leave a Comment

Please sign in to add a comment. Not a member? Join today