Quad precision architecture one day?

Quad precision architecture one day?

I have a dream in which the IEEE-754 quad precision is implemented in hardware in order to allow fast extended precision computation in a portable way instead of the current 80-bit extended format. I would like to know whether this is just a dream for the next 20 years or whether there are current research in this direction because there is a clear need of this for the HPC/physicists community.

Thank you in advance...

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
For more complete information about compiler optimizations, see our Optimization Notice.

The general consensus in the last 30 years has been that there is not enough demand for fast quad-precision (Binary128) to justify a hardware implementation. I am not aware of any research that could make this policy change in the near future.

Some IBM CPUs do support quad-precision decimal floating-point (Decimal128) in hardware. But they implement it with scalar, non-pipelined units that are orders of magnitude slower than double-precision (Binary64) SIMD units: their target is financial applications, not HPC.

When you mention there is a clear need for quad precision (or extended precision), do you have specific applications in mind? Have you considered software alternatives such as double-double arithmetic?

Leave a Comment

Please sign in to add a comment. Not a member? Join today