Problems installing MPSS 3.1.2

Problems installing MPSS 3.1.2

I am attempting to install MPSS 3.1.2 on a cluster of four CentOS 6.5 boxes.  Node 1 installed fine (as per the instructions from the provided readme).  However the other three nodes are having strange issues.  The previous version of mpss was unloaded and uninstalled as per the instructions and the files located in the ...RHEL-6.5.tar were installed with yum.  However the mpss service does not start and module mic.ko will not load:

modprobe mic
FATAL: Module mic not found.

Strangely, modprobe -l does not show the module mic.ko located in /lib/modules/2.6.32-431.3.1.el6.x86_64/weak-updates (whereas it does on node 1).  I am not sure if there is a configuration file somewhere that tells modprobe to look into the weak-updates directory.  Running uname -r gives 2.6.32-431.3.1.el6.x86_64.  The mic.ko module installed into /lib/modules/2.6.32-431.el6.x86_64/extra/ has a functioning symlink into /lib/modules/2.6.32-431.3.1.el6.x86_64 and /lib/modules/2.6.32-431.3.1.el6.x86_64/weak-updates.  However running insmod /path/to/those/mic.ko still does not allow the mpss service to start:

sudo micctrl --initdefaults
FATAL: Module mic not found.

and:

sudo service start mpss
start: unrecognized service

Although lsmod shows the mic module:

lsmod | grep mic
mic                   587677  0

If it matters, all the other Intel stuffs (compilers, etc.) are installed into a shared folder such that each node is configured identically.  Unfortunately I am out of ideas trying to solve this problem. Thank you for any help.

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
For more complete information about compiler optimizations, see our Optimization Notice.

I solved the error by modifying the file /etc/depmod.d/dist.conf to include the line:

search /lib/modules/2.6.32-431.3.1.el6.x86_64/weak-updates

Then ran:

sudo depmod -a

sudo micctrl --initdefaults
     [Warning] mic0: Generating compat network config file.  This will be removed in the 3.2 release
     [Warning] mic1: Generating compat network config file.  This will be removed in the 3.2 release
$ sudo service mpss start
     Starting Intel(R) MPSS:                                    [  OK  ]
     mic0: online (mode: linux image: /usr/share/mpss/boot/bzImage-knightscorner)
     mic1: online (mode: linux image: /usr/share/mpss/boot/bzImage-knightscorner)

Now everything works.

I was able to solve the problem by modifying the file /etc/depmod.d/dist.conf to include:

search /lib/modules/2.6.32-431.3.1.el6.x86_64/weak-updates/

Then executing 

depmod -a; sudo micctrl --initdefaults; sudo service mpss start

which got everything working well again.

What you did is probably the right thing, but just out of curiousity, is there a difference between the  /etc/depmod.conf files on the different systems? 

Leave a Comment

Please sign in to add a comment. Not a member? Join today