Best Xeon Phi x200 OS

Best Xeon Phi x200 OS

Hi,

I have just got my Xeon Phi 7210 up and running with Ubuntu 16.04 HWE server, but I have a feeling that it is not the right choice.

I managed to run a job on 128 hyper threads, but 256 fails with insufficient cores.

My first attempt to run ubuntu desktop was not a success - it was running but annoing to work with.

Is there a prefered OS for perfomance and/or easy of use/setup? Should I only install a CLI version or is it possible to install a workstation version without degrading performance?

Best regards,

Per

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
For more complete information about compiler optimizations, see our Optimization Notice.

The list of supported operating systems can be found in here in table 1.

The CentOS was intended for non-enterprise users. Please keep in mind that these distribution requires patches to achieve best performance.
The required patches can be obtained from Intel(R) Xeon Phi(tm) Software.

Regards

Hi Sebastian,

Thanks, I'll reinstall with CentOS 7.3 and see if it helps :-)

Best regards,

Per

Hi Sebastian,

When I install CentOS 7.3 it installs with netinstall the kernel that correspond to RHEL 7.4 - should I install the patches RHEL 7.4 patches or do I need to download a different image and hope that it doesn't update the kernel?

Best regards,

Per

Hi Per,

as stated in another thread: source RPMs are included in xppsl-1.5.3-centos7.3.tar , allowing you to rebuild the kmod RPM (xppsl-1.5.3/centos7.3/srpms/kmod-xppsl-addons-1.5.3-4380.x86_64.rpm) for CentOS 7.4 ; the other RPMs are not tied to a specific kernel version.

If I read the release notes corectly, then the only reason to install the kmod RPM is to avoid some kernel oddities when running in SNC-4 topology.

HTH,

JJK

Hi JJK,

Thanks, does it mean that it could run on any linux dist if it is not in SNC-4 mode?

Best regards,

Per

I see no reason why not - but stability might be an issue; also, I've noticed that (older) Ubuntu releases do not support enough cores (some stop at 64 cores max).

The second problem with running anything other than SLES or RHEL/CentOS is that you will get zero point zero support from Intel (or me ;) )

Hi JJK,

Stability is a big issue - I just tried to compile and run OpenFOAM on a combination of gcc 7.1 which gave some nasty errors, sometimes the calculations just diverged, so don't rock the boat :-D

I was thinking of a dual boot because OpenFOAM is easier to setup in ubuntu, but it seems to work with devtools-4 and Intel MPI on CentOS.

I will try to reinstall CentOS 7.4 when I find the best combination of compiler and mpi...

Best regards,

Per

Leave a Comment

Please sign in to add a comment. Not a member? Join today