Intel(R) VTune(TM) Amplifier XE installed on the MTL

Intel(R) VTune(TM) Amplifier XE installed on the MTL

To get started using Intel VTune Amplifier XE 2011:
- Add thedirectoy bin64 (or bin32) located in
/opt/intel/vtune_amplifier_xe_2011 to your PATH environment variable.
To start the graphical user interface: amplxe-gui
To use the command-line interface: amplxe-cl
- To view a table of getting started documents:

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
For more complete information about compiler optimizations, see our Optimization Notice.

I am running the command line interface of Vtune Amplifier.
I have no problems running hotspot orother user-mode analysis, but when I try to run lightweight-hotspots (which is based on hardware event-based sampling collection) I get two errors:

The first one is probably due to insufficient permissions (need to be added to the vtune user-group? If so please add me, my username is feng-s03) and says:

• Fatal error: Problem accessing the sample driver (etc..)

The second one says:

• Fatal error: Invalid value for comparison: $PMU==nhm. Null type context values can only be compared with 'NULL'. Check context value spelling.

Thank you!

I believe we have now fixed both these issues - thanks impart to a previousVtune Amplifier forum posting, that indicated that drivers needed to be built and installed.

Anyway completing some initial testing on the command line lightweight-hotspots EBS the following now appears to function and generate output
$ /opt/intel/vtune_amplifier_xe_2011/bin64/amplxe-cl -collect lightweight-hotspots -duration 3

Let us know if you still experience problems.

I had the same problem. But I use "root" to do lightweight-hotspots. This problem will not exist.

the drivers need to be restarted at Intel MTL as of 3/17/2012
i am getting "Problem accessing the sampling driver. The driver may need to be (re)started" error code -87.
check sbin/lsmod | grep sep3 and found nothing.
please help.

The underlying problem is that thereappears to beno VTune applicabledriver for the current RHEL 5.4 kernel version: 2.6.18-194.11.4.el5

I'm sorry, but I don't expect aresolutionin the near future.

Is it installed on MTL any tool to do hardware event-based sampling and analysis of applications? With VTune, it seems that it is not yet possible.

Leave a Comment

Please sign in to add a comment. Not a member? Join today