VisualStudio2005 and mkl_c.lib

VisualStudio2005 and mkl_c.lib

Hello.
we link mkl_c.lib with Visual Studio 7 without any problem.
Visual Studio 2005 was installed and we tried to rebuild our solution under VS2005.

Next error message was shown:
Error19fatal error LNK1314: corrupt or invalid COFF symbol table (undefined static or label symbol)mkl_c.lib

How to fix the problem?
Igor

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
For more complete information about compiler optimizations, see our Optimization Notice.

Your situation looks strange because we are tested compatibility of MKL with MS Visual Studio 2005 (beta2 and release). Can you send to us:
1) small test case which illustrating problem
2) version of used C compiler
3) version of MKL

Hi,
I have the same problem. Can anyone give a hint?
On my pc mkl 5.2 is installed and I tried to compile my old programm with VS 2005 8.0.50727.42. It is exactly the same error.

Shall I get the new update?

Thanks for any helps

Hi,
Possible explanation:

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms173728.aspx

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Visual C++ Concepts: Building a C/C++ Program
Linker Tools Error LNK1314

Error Message
corrupt or invalid COFF symbol table (undefined static or label symbol)

The compiler-generated content for a section in the given object appears to be corrupt.

This error may represent a failure of the compiler; contact Getting Help from Microsoft Product Support Services (Visual Studio).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello,
I have the same problem.

mkl_p4.lib(xdgemm.obj) : fatal error LNK1314: corrupt or invalid COFF symbol table (undefined static or label symbol) mkl_c.lib

I questioned MS as ISV-AS for Empowered Customer support. But,their answers were "We were not able to confirm effective information. Please contact developer of this library."

>This error may represent a failure of the compiler; contact Getting Help from Microsoft Product Support Services (Visual Studio).

I think "' a failure of the compiler'the above-mentioned indicates causing in the compile time in the library(mkl_p4.lib(xdgemm.obj))".

By playing around with makefiles, I found it is possible tolink with mkl_c.lib fromold MKL, butit is messy.

I started with a makefile (.mak) and dependency file (.dep) that I exported from CVF and old Visual Studio. This makefile specifies VC98BinLINK.EXE as linker, which seems happy enough with mkl_c.lib. I changed F90 to specify IFORT.EXE. I changed LIB to make sure that the following were all there: old Visual Studio directoriesVC98Lib and DF98Lib,new intel directory ...9.1IA32Lib and my MKL5.2 library directory.

I changed F90_PROJ to suit ifort. To get a hint on how to do this, I upgraded my CVF project to Intel Fortran using the method described in the Intel help. Then I looked at the commandline settings for Fortran and Linker in the project's property pages. I also removed debug information from the project, but not 100% sure whether that was truly necessary - maybe it would've been OK just to clean various debug files from my directories?

If I have time one day, I would like tobe able towrap up this hack independently of my project,to produce anew non-corrupt library file instead, that can be linked to with no problems from within Visual Studio, but Idon't know yet whether it is possible.

Sorry this is sosketchy; I'm pretty new to fortran, makefiles, etc... but hopefully it might help somebody...

Add another workaround for your reference,

I just tried to build the BLAS example(MKL52exampleslas) and found that with mkl_c_dll.lib seem no such problem. So if you have to link thelibraries with MKL 5.2, may you try to link the dynamic library(mkl_c_dll.lib) instead of those static library (mkl_c.lib, mkl_px.lib etc) and see if it can solve your problem?

In addtion, MKL 5.2 is not officially supported any longer, soI recommend , if possbile, pleaseuse the "mkl_p4.lib, mkl_p3.lib, mkl_def.lib" in latest MKL version. (I'm pretty sure that there's no such an issue in late releases such MKL 9.0.).

Thanks

Ying

Leave a Comment

Please sign in to add a comment. Not a member? Join today