Stress testing of Intel OpenMP library - More than 18,600 OpenMP threads created in a parallel region

Stress testing of Intel OpenMP library - More than 18,600 OpenMP threads created in a parallel region

Hi everybody,

I'd like to share results of stress testing ofIntel OpenMP library for a 32-bit platform:

libiomp5md.dll

Intel OMP Performance Library
version 5.0.20111219 for IA-32 architecture
built on 2011-12-19 17:12:07 UTC

A purpose of the stress test was as follows:

Create as many as possible OpenMP threads in a parallel region on aone CPU system.

Details:

It isstated by Intel that up to 16,384 OpenMP threads could be created in a parallel region. This is not true,
because a simpletest application easily created more than 18,600 OpenMP threads on a 32-bit Windows XP
operating system ( 4GB of Virtual Memory ).

How would I compare Intel OpenMP library with Microsoft OpenMP library?

Intel's library is far more advancedand demonstrated outstanding capabilities (!).Microsoft's library
doesn't allow to create more than 64 OpenMP threads in a parallel region. Intel's OpenMP library could be used
forsophisticated scientific projects that require a veryhigh level of parallelization.

Fourscreenshootswill beenclosed.

Best regards,
Sergey

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
For more complete information about compiler optimizations, see our Optimization Notice.

I found a very interesting article regarding limits of Windows platform(s):

http://blogs.technet.com/b/markrussinovich/archive/2009/07/08/3261309.aspx

I've done some review and unfortunately a Post #4 is a spam-post. It is not related to the subject of the thread.

Best regards,
Sergey

Quoting billywesleyI am little bit comfused in terms of How it actually works? Can you explain it in brief?
I've created a smalltest-case in C++ that uses some OpenMP functionalityand compiled it with Intel C++ compiler.
I could post the source codes if you need and please confirm me.

Best regards,
Sergey

It means that theunion 'my_union_t' can not be splitted in two cache lines. Sorry for a little deviation from the main subject.

Quoting sureshgupta22It means that theunion 'my_union_t' can not be splitted in two cache lines. Sorry for a little deviation from the main subject.
Sorry, but it looks like that statementshould beaddressedto a different thread.

It is not related to the subject of the thread.

>>>I found a very interesting article regarding limits of Windows platform(s):>>>

Thanks very insightful information.

Leave a Comment

Please sign in to add a comment. Not a member? Join today